We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Hello,

I will be arriving to Jerusalem on Dec 22nd for 2 and a half days. Looking to have a pace, but still to see the Must See places, and taste some of the life in Jerusalem.

Any advice?

Thx

Alex

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Have a look at a guide book and pick the places which strike your fancy most. You will be coming during Hanukkah, the festival of lights, and a stroll through the alleys behind Mahane yehuda market soon after it's dark is very nice.

USA
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Alex, is this your first time in Jerusalem? Are you interested in religious sites of a particular religion, or in Jerusalem in general? Are you on your own?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

I would plan on a half-day walking tour of the Old City on the Four Quarters tour of Zion Walking Tours just inside the Jaffa Gate, across from the Tower of David Museum. It costs around $35 USD, and runs daily at 9:00 a.m., 11:00 a.m., and 2:00 p.m. Make sure to visit Temple Mount, which you can do one morning. Other spots, depending on your interests:

• The Mount of Olives and its mainly Christian sites.

• Yad Vashem and the Israel Museum -- that would take most of a day, via cab to the western part of the City.

• I have no idea if you have an interest in Bethlehem at the Christmas season, but it's a fairly easy cab ride via Arab taxi from the Old City. This time of year, though, it will be very crowded, and transit and security may take longer.

Enjoy!

Douglas Duckett

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Wao, thanks for the Guinness Record speed for replying!

It will be my first time inj JErusalem. I will leaving Cairo at 9AM so should be in Jerusalem (Hotel Gloria) around...1PM?

I was thinking about taking a Zion tour either on first day (2PM tour) but might be too Jet Lagged, or maybe early on the 23rd

I am interested in the diversity of the city in General, the religious sites as well but not only that and not in way too much details for the first visit. I am not religious so I still want to see all the must see sites (just like I did in Rome) but not overdo the religion angle.

Also, I was wondering if anything worth doing on the 24th? And what should I do& see (or not doo) because of the 25th?

I will be departing early on the 25th to Amman.

Many thanks for any itinerary suggestion.

Alex

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Since this is your first visit and you will be staying in the Old City here are my recommendations:

Drop by the Tourist Information Center at Jaffa Gate and get a map and a list of sites to see; say hi to Jennifer. Then walk around, exploring the Old City.

Of course, it depends what you're interested in but I would suggest the following:

In terms of Churches, I would visit the Church of the Agony/All Nations east of the city, walk through the Kidron valley, enter the Old City at Lions Gate, visit the Church of Santa Anna, a Crusader church with incredible acoustics, follow the Via Dolorosa to the Church of the Holy Sepulcher.

I would visit the Wohl archaeological museum to get a feeling for Jerusalem in the time of Herod and Jesus. I'd also walk around the archaeological site at the Davidson Center.

If there is any space, try to reserve a Western Wall Tunnel tour. Also, it's worth taking a guided group tour of the City of David. If you have "water" shoes and aren't claustrophobic, you can even walk through Hezekiah's Tunnel, quite an experience.

You might want to walk up onto the Haram el Sharif to see the Dome of the Rock and al Aqsa mosque close up (the Waqf won't allowed you to enter them unfortunately) but if so you'll have to do it in the morning and it takes between 1/2 and 1 hour to pass through security,

The Israel Museum is closed for renovations but it's still possible to visit the Shrine of the Book, where the Dead Sea Scrolls and other artifacts from Qumran are on display. Don't miss the Second Temple Period model. Weather has been very pleasant in Jerusalem - walk around the sculpture garden. If you're interested in archaeology, you can also visit the Rockefeller museum (on the same admission, there's even a shuttle bus) which will get you back to the Old City.

For an overview, there's a double-decker bus that takes you for a guided tour of the whole city. You might want to do that.

> Also, I was wondering if anything worth doing on the 24th?

Check with the Christian Information Center near Jaffa Gate for special programs/celebrations. December 25th is a normal working day for Jerusalem's Jews and Muslims.

Enjoy your visit.

Shmuel

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Thanks Shmuel for all this info! Between this and the guided Zion tour, I think I have what to fill the two and a half days.

But I'd like also to get a feel for the Life in Jerusalem, not only things to visit. Any areas I should focus on? Different atmospheres?

Thx

Alex

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
66 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Spartac,

I visited Jerusalem this summer, and there are so many sights to see! I completely agree that you should take a look at a guide book to see what interests you the most first. I enjoyed walking around the Old City roads, visiting the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the Western Wall, and walking/shopping the Arab Shuk as well.

I enjoyed everywhere I went in Jerusalem! :)

Jerusalem
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

> But I'd like also to get a feel for the Life in Jerusalem, not only > things to visit. Any areas I should focus on? Different

> atmospheres?

There will be plenty of opportunities while visiting the sites recommended by everyone to meet people, speak to people, see people doing things, watch people interacting, etc.

The Arab shuq/market and the Mahane Yehuda market are great places to get a feel for Jerusalem. There's the midrahov, the Ben Yehuda St. pedestrian mall, Zion square and the pub, restaurant, boutique galleries in Nahalat Shiva. There's Yellow Submarine in Talpiot and the Smadar movie theater in the German Colony and the Mabada/Lab theater. There's some different atmospheres. You choose.

Shmuel

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

Thanks guys!

Alex

10. Re: two and a hald days in Jerusalem: what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:20 am, October 14, 2009