We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2nd israel trip

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
2nd israel trip

My husband and I are planning our 2nd trip to Israel. Our 1st trip (15 years ago)was a tour that took us to the usual sights that tourist go to. We are looking for suggestions on our second trip. We dod not enjoy 'see 10 things in 1 day'. We beleive less is more. We will be with relatives for 3 days and then have 7 days to visit. How do you suggest we plan this? Off the beaten path is good.

SANDEMANs NEW Europe - Jerusalem
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Guided Tours Israel - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Green Olive Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2nd israel trip

Where are your relatives? When are you going to be here, as time of year can make a big difference. Will you rent a car or use public transportation?

There are a few interesting neighborhoods in Tel Aviv-Jaffa that could be fun to explore.....and many in Jerusalem, both old and new parts. Have you been to Akko? Or the Koala reserve? Wine-tasting?

Give us a few general directions and we'll give you lots of suggestions.

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2nd israel trip

Thanks for your response. My relatives are in Kfar saba. We are travelling in March- April. We can either rent a car or use public transportation (depends on how we plan our trip). We have been to Akko and have seen many koaloas in Australia.

We would be interested in places in Jerusalem and are considering a few days in the negev/eilat. We did not go there on our first trip. We do like nature and people.

Thanks again

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,724 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2nd israel trip

Fifteen years is a long time ago. Israel has changed. Many of the things you think you have seen are very different today.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2nd israel trip

You definitely want to spend some time in Jerusalem. There is so much to choose from.

From Jm, rent a car and drive south. That's a great time to visit Ein Gedi, climb up to see the waterfalls and native animals, mostly ibex (deerlike) and hyrax (more elusive, sort of like beaver without the big tails). For the other half of the day, either Masada or a float in the Dead Sea. Overnight at one of the hotels or the Kibbutz Ein Gedi guest house. Next day, continue south, stopping at the Yotvata nature reserve, to Eilat. Return via the Ramon Crater (hike) and Sde Boker (Ben Gurion museum), maybe even a short tour of Beer Sheba. Leave the car at the airport and check in for your flight.

Depending on how you want to divide your time, you can spend more time in the Negev and Eilat, or more time in Jm. The above is a minimum of 3 days in the south. Alternatively, you can go south from Kfar Saba by car, through Ramon Crater, etc., to Eilat, then via the Dead Sea to Jm to end your trip.

While you are in Kfar Saba, there are easy day trips, if you and your relatives are so inclined. There's bird-watching near Hadera, for example.

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2nd israel trip

Again- thanks. Can you recommend a few hotels in Jerusalem that are well situated?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,537 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2nd israel trip

Sorry, I can't help with that. I suggest you post a new message with a specific heading.

BTW when were you planning to visit?

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2nd israel trip

hi,

end of march beginning of april

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2nd israel trip

Lots of hotels for all budgets nicely situated. Are you looking for a hotel in the Old City or the New one?

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2nd israel trip

I prefer the old city.

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2nd israel trip

Hotels in the Old City (within the walls) are usually quite spartan - the Lutheran Guest house would be my choice. Near the old City you have the Eldan, the Dan pearl and the David's Citadel, in rising budget categories. On the other end of the old city you have the Olive Tree, the Novotel and the American Colony - I do not recommend staying in that area since it's not easily reacheable on foot or by public transport and it's not close to entertainment spots.