We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How far from Tel Aviv Airport

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
How far from Tel Aviv Airport

Hello,

I will be arriving early on Dec 22nd in Cairo nd was planning to catch a flight to Jerusalem but the Egyptian travel agency told me that there were no flights on Mondays.

But there is an Air Sinai flight to Tel Aviv. How far is it from Jerusalem? What is the best way to get there by public transportation or taxi

This is will also rush my Jordan Etinerary (reduced to 6.5 days instead of 10) and icrease flight costs as I will be taking one-way flights. So I am wondering if it's worth it, especially that Jerusalem is supposed to be very cold that time of the year

Thx

Alex

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,315 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

You can't "fly to Jerusalem." The country's main international airport, Ben-Gurion International Airport (TLV) is located between Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, about 30 minutes from the former and 45 minutes from the latter. So despite the "Tel Aviv" designation, it's actually almost as close to Jerusalem. You will be able to take either a private taxi or for much less money a sherut, or group taxi, that will leave as soon as it fills up and go to each person's hotel to drop everyone of.

Jerusalem can be cold that time of year, but trust me, compared to what you are used to in Montréal, it won't be "very cold." It's the most amazing city in the world, in my view, but you have to decide how much you want to put in your trip. I'm biased, admittedly, but I think Israel would be far more interesting than Jordan, with no slight intended toward that country.

Enjoy your trip, whatever you decide!

Douglas Duckett

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

Thank you for the quick answer. I will then try to make it. It is stange though that both travel agncies told me that there were no flights on Monday to Jerusalem only to Tel-Aviv. Wonder what they meant?

How much would a taxi cost? And the shuttle? Is the later convenient or does it take forever from Airport to Hotel? I am thinking about sleeping inside (or around) the old city.

Thx

Alex

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

They probably meant there are no flights to Jerusalem on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday....

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,315 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

A taxi should run about ₪200-240 (Israeli shekels, or $66-82 USD) from the airport to Jerusalem, with higher rates for evenings and Shabbat, and there are small, per-bag surcharges. The sherut (group taxi) should cost about ₪50 or $16 USD per person to Jerusalem. You will only have to wait until the sherut fills up and then it will leave; not a fixed schedule. After any flight, they fill up fairly fast. The main delay is that they may drop you off first -- or maybe last, with quite a tour of Jerusalem hotels first. So, it is a decision between time and money. I don't know if you are traveling alone or with others, but if you have three people or so, I'd take a private cab as the costs are then about the same.

Douglas Duckett

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

Thanks Labatt, I will probably go wit a Taxi.

Anon,

Dec 22nd, on which they said there are no flights to Jerusalem and they found flights to Tel Aviv (TLV) is a Monday. So I am somewhat confused. I will ask them

Thx

Alex

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

Spartca, I wasn't making fun of you but of the sad situation for which our capital doesn't have an airport.

However, according to summer schedule (I can't find winter schedules yet) El Al flies Cairo Tel Aviv on Mondays and fridays, and Air Sinai flies the same route on Sundays, Mondays Thursday and Fridays.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,230 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

Hello Anon,

I really didn't think you were making fun. No harm done:)

Alex

8. Re: How far from Tel Aviv Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:17 pm, October 10, 2009