We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

My husband and I will be in Jerusalem with our 25-year-old son and are deciding between the Eldan and Harmony hotels. We will be renting a car for part of our stay. With Eldan's car rental discount, the room rates are basically the same for each hotel. Eldan said they have a parking lot, but do not guarantee that spaces will be available.

How do these two hotels compare? Is one in a better location than the other? Has anyone stayed 3 to a room in either hotel? I'm wondering whether the rooms are any larger for 3 people.

Thanks!

Liz

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

The Harmony is a brand new hotel with an ultra modern decor. Both a friend and I independantly visited rooms there. She saw a lovely room. I saw one with NO drawer space at all. There was hanging space-but that was that. While I can't speak specifically for each hotel most Israeli hotels do NOT have larger rooms for 3 people. They just squish a cot in.

Eldan usually has special deals if you are also renting a car from them. Eldan's lot is small--but there is free street parking a 10 minute walk away. ( ask if needed, I'll tell my secret location) Harmony has no lot and no nearby free street parking.

Bottom line though--you do not need or want a car in Jerusalem. There is major roadwork going on and you will just find yourself sitting in traffic. Get the car the day you are leaving.

Back to your original question--neither is better--it is which best fits your needs.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
138 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

Thanks for the info. We will be staying in Jerusalem Tues-Sat. Since we can't get our rental car on Saturday, we thought we'd pick it up on Friday and use it for a day trip to Masada/Dead Sea. When I went to the Eldan car rental website yesterday, the cost was actually less if we pick the car up Thursday instead of Friday, so we thought maybe Thursday would be a better day for Masada anyway. However, when I went back to book the car today that was no longer the case and ALL of the identical dates are about $70 more than yesterday! Strange.

The Eldan hotel offers a 10% discount if you are also renting a car from them, which brings their rate to within a few dollars of Harmony's for 3 people.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

I would suggest asking each of them what size room they would give you for 3 adults.

As far as position - they are less than 10 minutes walk from each other, so both in excellent positions, about equidistant to Jaffa Gate.

With regards to parking - the nearest parking lot to Eldan, if they have no space in their parking lot is at the Mamilla mall, about a 5-7 minute walk. The first 3 hours are free, and after that you pay 30 shekels for the whole day. I seem to remember that you can't leave your car there overnight, but in the evenings you can park on the street next to the David Citadel (the entrance to that street is from the Paz petrol station across the road from the Eldan - you drive down the hill, take a first left, and swing round until you get to the street on the side of the David Citadel). There are parking meters all along the street, but it's free from 7pm till 8am. The Mamilla mall car park is closed from Friday afternoon (not sure what time) till Saturday night, but you can use street parking during that period.

The closest parking lot to the Harmony is on Hillel Street, just at the end of the Nahalat Shiva pedestrian mall. That's less than 5 minutes walk from the parking lot to the hotel. I have no idea whether you can leave your car there overnight, or whether you can take it out on Saturday.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

Debi--if you go up the road to the right ( as you face it) of the Inbal and make a right at the traffic circle you are on Dubnov--loads of free on street parking 24/7

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

Admittedly, I'm ignoring the logistics of the parking issue... but I really like the location of the Harmony. Especially in respect to your 25 year old son. It is in the "liveliest" area of Jerusalem, Nachalat Shiva, a picturesque area of pedestrian streets with cafes, restaurants, shops, and night life. Have you read the hotel reviews on Trip Advisor? The Harmony is being offered at introductory rates right now because it recently opened, so it is a "good deal" (and don't we all love a good deal!). The walk to Jaffa Gate through the Mamilla pedestrian mall is quite nice. Nicer, I think, than the walk down King David Street which is the route from the Eldan.

Not to say that the Eldan's location is not convenient and "good," because it certainly is both, but in my opinion/experience the location of the Harmony is one that is somewhat more special and unique.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

Daphne--to get through the Jaffa (Yafo) Gate from the Eldan you walk down King David to the Mamilla mall-etc.etc. The differnce between the two is the Harmony your walk down Rechov Yafo ( construction and all) and the Eldan you walk down King David.

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

I guess it's a personal quirk, but I don't like King David Street very much...

And from the Harmony, I wouldn't take Jaffa Street which isn't my favorite either. But in any case, that would be out of the way, would it not?

I would walk down Yoel Salomon to Hillel to Ben Sira... or Yoel Salomon to Rivlin to the pedestrian street Ben Shetach (my "old stomping grounds" where one would find Baba... just had to throw a plug for Baba in there!) to either Shlomtzion Ha-Malkah or to Ben Sira... or even cut across Independence Park over to Agron. Those are all routes that I find more interesting. But admittedly, it's marginal.

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

To clarify my previous two posts... yes, from either hotel, you walk to the Jaffa Gate via the Mamilla pedestrian mall. From the Eldan, you take King David Street to the mall entrance. And from the Harmony, you take the routes described above to the mall entrance.

olney, maryland
Level Contributor
75 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

We just arrived back from Israel, and we stayed at the Harmony Hotel for 3 nights. It was very comfortable, centrally located, and the desk staff were extremely helpful and warm (especially Lilach). The breakfasts were delicious, and they even had complimental snacks and wine in the evening. We are 2 adults and 2 teens, so we took 2 rooms. The rooms were not big, but they were certainly sufficient. I think they could squeeze a 3rd bed in to the rooms, though it would be tight. Still, how much time are you spending in the hotel room itself when you have all the sights of Jerusalem outside your door?! About parking, I can't advise you as we didn't rent a car. Almost everything was within walking distance of the hotel, and if we needed to go a bit further, cabs were reasonable. We would not hesitate to go back and stay at the Harmony Hotel.

jerusalem israel
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Harmony or Eldan Hotel?

The Harmony Hotel provides ree of charge parking lot but it limited to 9 cars. The parking is under the hotel and it was opened in the begining of september.