We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American Independence Park

Washington DC
5 posts
Save Topic
American Independence Park

My husband and I are planning to go to this park. What is the best way to get there, aside from taking a public bus. We will not have a car, either.

Thanks!!!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,289 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: American Independence Park

Where are you coming from. Although--that is really irrelevant, if you don't have a car, won't take a bus that leaves taxi!!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,419 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: American Independence Park

You have to ask the taxi to wait for you, or to come back and take you. No chances finding a taxi there.

By the way do you know about a public bus getting there?

Washington DC
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: American Independence Park

I don't know about the bus to get to the park--I am having a difficult time finding information relating to the park on the Internet. If you have any information on a bus, do please let me know. We are going on Tisha B'Av, though, so I have to find out if the buses run that day. Thanks!

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,419 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: American Independence Park

Buses run that day. But I checked where the park is. It is near Beit Shemesh, it is also a very big park and the suggested sightseeing is done by car within the park. Unless you hire a taxi, or a guide with car I don't see how you can visit there.

Mentioned in this post
Beit Shemesh
Beit Shemesh
Jerusalem District, Israel
israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
15,419 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: American Independence Park

The park is run by Keren Kayemet. You can contact them on kkl.org.il/kkl/…contactusbymail.x and ask.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: American Independence Park

American Independence Park is up in the hills to the west of Jerusalem, up the hill from the village of Ein Kerem, not far from Tzur Hadassah & Bar Giora & near Nes Harim. It's very large and includes picnic areas, hiking trails, and more. Not far away is the memorial to the astronauts who died in the Challenger shuttle disaster in 1985.

From there, on a clear night, you can see the lights along the coast, from Ashkelon to Tel Aviv and beyond.

Also, just down the hill from the Challenger Memorial is the Soreq Cave - very interesting!

But yes, you'll need a car - as it's a good 30-minute drive from Jerusalem (without traffic).

You could take a bus - Egged #184 from Jerusalem, leaves at 9:15AM (next on is at 13:15) to Tzur Hadassah. Then, you'll have to hike a bit - well, quite a ways, really. The bus coming back to Jerusalem is Egged #184 around 17:21 and #180 at about 18:55.

While I highly recommend a visit to the Judaean Hills to the west of Jerusalem (especially to see the memorials which dot the landscape out there), I'm just wondering if you had something else in mind... perhaps one of the parks in Jerusalem?

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

Mentioned in this post
Ein Kerem
Ein Kerem
Nes Harim
Nes Harim
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Soreq Cave
Soreq Cave
81 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Judaean Hills
Judaean Hills
Washington DC
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: American Independence Park

Thanks for all of this information; it has been really helpful! I think we are going to have a friend of a friend or a taxi take us to the park. It is important that I go because my grandfather had a large role in the creation of the park. Again, thanks for the input everyone!

8. Re: American Independence Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 am, October 02, 2009