We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

location of Novotel/ St. George St.

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
location of Novotel/ St. George St.

Hi all,

I leave for Israel in 1 week, and will be staying at the Novotel Jerusalem (now apparently renamed the Moriah Classic?) with a tour group. We will be here the better part of 3 weeks, and we have a fair bit of free time.

I know it's a long shot, but if anyone is familiar with the area, can you please tell me what's there? Ie. restaurants, shopping, supermarket (most of my "souvenirs" will be Israeli foods!) etc.

Also, on emap it looks like St. George Street is near the central Bus Station, is it really as close as it seems? I assume bussing to the bars on Ben Yehuda/ Jabotinsky probably isn't a good idea anyways. Any idea what the taxi fare would be like? (though I guess I'll figure it out for myself!).

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: location of Novotel/ St. George St.

This hotel is on the border of East Jerusalem. Personally I would not walk around there at night. It is not that close to the Central Bus station--at least a 20 minute walk. Neither Ben Yehuda or Jabotinsky have bars. You will find them near kikar Zion but not on Ben Yehuda--sorry, don't know the name and there are also some in the Russian Compound. ( not a Bar person, others will advise better) I don't know what you mean by it isn't a good idea to bus--Buses are fine. However, I do not think any buses go directly there from your hotel. You may hae to take a taxi.

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: location of Novotel/ St. George St.

I supposed you found King George Street on your map. That is close to Jaffo Street where the central bus station is, but St George, where you will be staying, is quite far away from it. Definitely wouldn't walk the area of the Novotel at night.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
7,555 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: location of Novotel/ St. George St.

Hi Smandz

I stayed at the Novotel in 2006, the location for us was good as our focus was on the old city. It's approx a ten minute walk from the hotel to the Damascus gate and about twenty minutes walk to Ben Yehuda. Lots of restaurants and souvenirs there.

As mentioned by Rdglady, the area around Damascus Gate at night is not ideal for walking. We walked a couple of times from Ben Yehuda in the evening and although quite lively during the day, after the shops close, there is a lot of garbage bags in the street and it appears to be a place for local youths to gather and "hang". Safer to get a taxi, we paid 20 - 25 NIS from Ben Yehuda to Novotel. No large supermarket that I saw but there are a few small grocery markets within walking distance. Im also not a bar person, so can't help you there but ask the reception, they were great with advice and maps etc.

Toronto
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: location of Novotel/ St. George St.

yes, I actually realised that the hotel is at St. George rather than King George. I will be part of a religious tour that separates men and women into different hotels. Of course the guys will be staying on KING George!

Glad to know that it is not all that far to Ben Yehuda area. I would definately be using a taxi, the walk is definately not worth saving $5! There is at least one bar or small nightclub right off Ben Yehuda, but good to know where the real scene is.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: location of Novotel/ St. George St.

smandz - interesting that on a "religious" tour, the men & women are not only in separate hotels, but the women are in an area where it's not good to walk around after dark, while the men are where they can enjoy the nightlife, undisturbed! What sort of "religious" tour is this??? We have lots of Christian and Jewish tour groups in town all the time, but I'm not familiar with any who separate men & women into different hotels and so far apart as that!

It's also interesting that the length of stay is "the better part of 3 weeks" - you mean you are in the same hotel for almost 3 weeks? Aren't you going to the north or south or somewhere else in the country?

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

6. Re: location of Novotel/ St. George St.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 pm, October 03, 2009