We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveler's Checks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Traveler's Checks

I don't use them. I don't even recommend people bring them along. BUT, my friend really wants to send her daughter to Israel with them. So, does anyone know--do the Change Places accept them. ( I know the one I use in Netanya doesn't) If anyone is wandering in the heart of Jerusalem and can stick their head in and ask, I'd really appreciate it. BTW I already told my friends that going into the bank can be very very time consuming AND the post office, while definitely changing them--is also very time consuming.

Thanks in advance guys!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveler's Checks

If they are American Express travelers cheques, their office will cash them free of charge (I think) at their office in Tel Aviv:

American Express -- American Express International is at 32 Ben Yehuda St. (tel. 03/526-8837; for lost traveler's checks, call tel. 800/943-8694). Mail is held for American Express cardholders. Open Sunday to Thursday from 9am to 5pm and Fri 9am to 1pm

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Texas
Level Contributor
387 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveler's Checks

Why does she want to use them? An ATM debit card is better.

Even if she does use travelers checks she should give her daughter an ATM on a small bank account just in case she needs to get funds to her quickly.

That way she can add to the account and the funds would be available within moments. That would not be the case to get funds to her any other way nor would any other way be so inexpensive.

Is the daughter going to have credit card? She needs either cc or dc. If she takes one or both of these then they can decide after the daughter arrives which is user friendly.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveler's Checks

Why does she want to use TC? Trust me--you really don't want to know. AND trust me--as someone who goes twice a year to Israel I have told her NOT to use them. As I said in my post, I don't use or recommend them--but I thought someone would maybe have an answer to her question.

( hey she thought she could easily go into a bank and change then--but I nixed that idea too)

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveler's Checks

Going to the post office is not that time consuming. If you tell me where she's going to be staying I can advise a post office and also times in which is best to go queueswise.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveler's Checks

Hi Rdglady,

I took (American Express) Australian Dollar traveller cheques to Israel,what was I thinking? Even our hotel( Novotel) would not cash them but I had no problem cashing them at the money exchanges in Ben Yehuda mall. I also cashed one in the money exchange in the Armenian Quarter in Jerusalem. I agree use a debit card, I wouldn't bother with them again.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Armenian Quarter
Armenian Quarter
191 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
South Africa
Level Contributor
473 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveler's Checks

I have been using TCs in Israel since Sunday. I would agree with Anon about post offices not been time-consuming at all (well, at least the various ones I've been to have been quick). It has also given great opportunities for conversation. In Kastrin, a very friendly lady, on seeing us firmly clutching TCs and passports, engaged us in conversation and in fact stayed chatting even after her business was finished!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveler's Checks

I am glad to hear the places on Ben Yehuda cash them. I didn't think they did. Anon--thanks for the offer. Problem is, she is learning in a program in Har Nof and she doesn't control her free time--so she can't go to a Post office when it is quiet.

BUT--to all, I will share the results of this post with her mom ( my friend) and let them make their decision!!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveler's Checks

Well, nearby she has Givat Shaul at Shtener Centre open Sun-Thur from 8 till 17:00 and Bayit Vegan, at 25 HaPisga St. open Sun and Thursday 8:00-18:00, Mon-Tues - 8:00-12:30 and 15:30-18:00, Weds 8:00 till 13:30. They both have money exchange services. For more info, postil.com .

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
39,275 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveler's Checks

thanks Anon

10. Re: Traveler's Checks

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:18 am, September 27, 2009