We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open on Independence Day ????

washington, d.c.
6 posts
Save Topic
Open on Independence Day ????

Will be spending our first day in Jerusalem on May 8 (Independence Day). Would Yad Vashem and/or Western Wall Tunnel Tours be open?? what other sites would you recommend that day, and where are the best places to take in that wonderful celebration??

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,670 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

I don't know about Yad Vashem; I think others on this board said that there were indeed Western Wall Tunnel tours that day, though you need to book well in advance and it may be difficult to find a free slot by now.

The place to be is on the streets; the evening (before) Yom ha'Atzmaut (Independence day) there is a large street party/carnival with rock bands, Israeli dancing and so on. Unfortunately, though, it sounds like you arrive too late to take this in. On the day itself, there will probably be fun events/exhibitions. But the most Israeli thing to do is to have a BBQ. Seriously - you will see clouds of smoke billowing over every open space...

Avigail

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

this year we celebrate Israel's 60th , so there'll be lots of interesting celebrations. Have a look here israel60.gov.il/englishnews/categoryList.aspx

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

The Yad Vashem website says it is closed on Saturdays and Jewish Holidays. I assume that this means also Independence Day.

I checked for someone else a while ago, and the Western Wall Tunnels have tours till 14:00 on Independence day, but if you haven't booked by now, they may be completely full. Try calling them immediately after Pessach (Sunday in Israel, if you can, otherwise Monday), and book a tour. Unfortunately they only accept phone bookings.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

OK, another question re Yom Ha-Atzma'ut...

On that day, we will be in Haifa. I had thought we might run up to Akko to see the Baha'i Shrine there (we've "done" the rest of Akko) and maybe stop by at the Kibbuzt Lohamei Ghetta'ot to see the Holocaust/Ghetto Fighters' Museum there.

Can anyone find out if either or both will be "tourable" on the holiday?

If not, other suggestions for the area? Apparently, there will be military bands from around the world in the city, which I'd love to see/hear.

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

For Lohamei Hagetaot, you might wish to contact them (www.gfh.org.il). For the Baha'i in Akko, ditto - try http://www.bahai.org/contact As far as I know, they have a rather ambitious project in store for Acre, but as of today, there isn't much to see there.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

Oh, thanks. I thought there was a big Baha'i shrine in Akko? Perhaps we'll skip that.

What we're really hoping for on Yom Ha-Atzma'ut is to look pathetic and stumble into a barbecue in Haifa. :-)

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

Mmm...sorry I can't help you there. Go by your nose and you should stumble upon many barbeques. Wear big cameras and pink and yellow clothes and you might get an invitation...

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

I personally wouldn't shun the option of lunch at Uri Buri's...

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

Douglas - the Bahai shrine in Akko is actually the most holy of the Bahai shrines, but it has not been developed like the ones in Akko and Delhi (the 2nd of which I've actually seen more of!).

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Open on Independence Day ????

You mean the ones in Haifa and Delhi