We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catching a taxi during the sabbath

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Catching a taxi during the sabbath

I am leaving Israel on a Friday night and I am leaving Jerusalem around 5pm by taxi for the airport which my flight is departing at 11:40pm. Will I have a hard time finding a taxi before the sabbath starts at sundown?

Zichron Yaakov...
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

I believe you're talking about a private journey rather than a public one. In such case, you'll have no problem finding a taxi, even during Shabbat.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

Underdog, you will not have a problem at all. Assuming you are staying at a hotel, just call the hotel to arrange it, or I can recommend a driver whom I know works on Erev Shabbat and is very good.

I note that you probably don't need to leave quite that early. Traffic will be light, and the drive to the airport should not take over 45 minutes at the most. You need to be at the airport no later than 8:40 p.m., so you could leave as late as 7:45 p.m. without trouble. Have an early dinner in Jerusalem first.

Enjoy your trip, and tell us all about it! I leave in less than two weeks, and my excitement is reaching a fever pitch!

Douglas Duckett

Back home in Cincinnati

Pearland, Texas
Level Contributor
74 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

Thanks guys very much. This will be my first to Israel, so this trip is something I wanted to do for a very long time. It may be just me traveling with a couple of days with a guide, but who knows its still early. My trip is in Novmember and the clock is ticking.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

This is probably isolated but the one and only catching-a-taxi-during-shabbat experience I had was not very pleasant. My flight landed on Fri afternoon and the bus left me at Jerusalem CBS at the wrong time. In five minutes everything stopped. Catching a taxi by flagging it down on the street was a crazy experience. Obviously the prices were excessively high. I bargained from 70 shekel to 40 finally, for a ride that cost 5 shekels by bus.

So I like others' suggestion - please book in advance :)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

RE: the last post. Bottom line--Israel has crooked cabbies like all over the world. Cab drivers, are supposed to use the meter. If you were able to go from 70 to 40 you were ripped off. ( I woudl imagine even the 40 was a rip-off) However, you can't compare a cab fare to a bus fare. ( where were you going) All cabs have legal rates. The rates for after 9PM and on the Sabbath and hollidays is higher but not insane. If your hotel calls a cab there would be a pre-arranged price. ( the hotels know the legal rates from the hotel to the airport.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

Priyank, so good to see you back on the forum!

Douglas Duckett

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

I once took a cab from my hotel to the Jaffa Gate. The hotel concierge said it should cost about 25 shekels. I didn't ask when I got into the cab and the driver didn't turn on a meter. When I got there, he wanted 50 shekels. I told him all I was giving him was the 25 the concierge told me was the price. He argued vehemently, but I handed the money and got out of the cab, and that was that.

Moral of the story: when you get into the cab, tell the driver to turn on the meter, and if he refuses, get out and take a different cab.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

hello rdglady: I was going from Jerusalem CBS to Damascus gate. I think it was simple demand-supply logic for high prices, but I am thankful to this experience - I got 'de-americanized' in few hours of arriving in Israel :)

I took taxi only once after that, also on shabbat, and at a pre-arranged price. that was comfortable (but not exciting!)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

Thanks Douglas - the cool travel guide writer :)

10. Re: Catching a taxi during the sabbath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:21 am, September 26, 2009