We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,863 posts
213 reviews
Save Topic
Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

My friend Joy and I, joined by our forum friend Dr. Z, are having dinner in Jerusalem on a Wednesday night. We had planned on dinner at Tzachko, which sadly seems to be closing before our trip. So now I need the Israel food experts to help find a worthy replacement.

I had looked at Darna -- would that be a good choice? Or are there others that you would recommend? I'm already eating at Arcadia, Te'enim (with the TA forum group), Tmol Shilshom, and the YMCA restaurant on our final evening before leaving for the airport.

So your thoughts?

Douglas Duckett

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

Obviously you had a reason to want to try out Darna so maybe you should go with your instincts, although I seem to recall Dr. Z commented on the original thread about his experience at Darna.

A place that has intrigued me is Adom. Seems like a nice place for three friends to share a fun dinner.

I also remember a while back that the author of the Frommers' review suggested Rivlin to you because a particular chef had moved there (from Shonka, was it?).

Paradiso, very nearby the YMCA. I really liked the vibe there during our one lunch and will definitely go back. I remember the food as being very good and unfussy, and it might be particularly suitable if you've had a long day and are looking to have a nice, relaxing dinner.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

Paradiso is nice. I would also suggest Joy Grill and Beer in the German Colony (reservations recommended). I was the one who originally suggested Darna and would not recommend it until they regain their original flare.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,863 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

Actually, Anon, we are eating at Joy. I left that off my list earlier by omission. It seemed only appropriate since I am traveling with Joy. :-)

dw325, you are right that Robert Ullian of the Frommer's Guide had mentioned Rivlin as a possility. But Paradiso also sounds intriguing. Can you give me a flavor of the type of food at each?

Thanks for the help!

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

Paradiso is a great Italian food place. The place has a bar/cafe appearance (actually, its full name is Cafe Paradiso). Here a link to their English menu:

http://cafeparadiso.co.il/menueng.php

My other recommendations are:

Ciello - a GREAT (and non-kosher) Italian restaurant, the best in Jerusalem IMO. Below is a link to their English menu:

www.rest.co.il/sites/Default.asp…

A nice Bistro is Terra (great lunch deals) in a nice Jerusalem brick buikding in Ben Shatach St.

Last but not least, Dolphin Yam, a sea food place with excellent mussels and superb shrimps:

www.rest.co.il/sites/Default.asp…

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

I second (third?) the recommendation to dine at Paradiso. Since it is right across the street from the Dan Panorama where we usually stay, it becomes something of a second home to us when we are in Jerusalem! The vibe is laid back back but sophisticated, the wine selection is wonderful, and the food is stellar. You MUST have the pita bread salad with the Bulgarian cheese (I have tried in vain to find the cheese here; feta comes close); it is my favorite. My kids swear by the lasagnette bolognese. Just a wonderful place full of Israelis.

I also had an underwhelming time at Darna in '06 but it may have been because there were intermittent blackouts throughout the meal...

Doug, if you can believe this, I'm already looking forward to your trip report and you haven't even left yet!

Elisa S.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,191 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

The above Paradiso recommendations might come in handy for me too this summer. Thanks to both of you - guyava and plannergrl! (BTW, I grew up in Westchester too!)

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

Hey, Shoesy, you're skimming! :)) It was me who brought up Cafe Paradiso! And have been happy to hear that my positive impression based on one memorable lunch was not misplaced. (I've suggested it before without reaction. Must be the affection for Douglas!) I need a new "favorite" place now that my beloved Tzachko is soon to be no more.

Paradiso earned a permanent place in my heart after they declined to fill my order of watermelon because it had just been delivered and hadn't yet spent enough time in the refrigerator. I really appreciated that as watermelon is far and away at its best when it's icy cold! I was disappointed until I tasted the other kind of melon they served instead which was amazing too. Can't beat Israeli melon.

Two other (non-kosher) laid-back places in Jerusalem that I enjoyed a lot are Resto-Bar and Link Cafe-Bar. I'll post more on those tomorrow unless someone else wants to jump in first.

I didn't grow up in Westchester, but in Riverdale, just south of Westchester.

Daphne

Israel
Level Contributor
5,191 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

Well then....a special big thanks to you Daphne!

Speaking of watermelon, my husband, who happens to be a fruit lover (especially watermelons, for which we ended up buying a second fridge) always lets his slice of watermelon stand at room temperature before eating it.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
15,166 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

For all those fond of melons - there are small watermelons (green outside, red inside) from a farm called Rodded, don't miss them. Also the long yellow melons are already on the market. Enjoy.

Israel
Level Contributor
5,191 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Replacement for dinner at Tzachko

And where, may I ask, is this farm called Rodded, Shoshi?