We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which neighborhoods are "must see"

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
Which neighborhoods are "must see"

In the table of contents for "Jerusalem EasyWalks" by Aviva Bar-Am, there are 12 walks. Which of the following do you feel are "must sees", or is there any priority you would assign them?

SOUTHERN JERUSALEM

1. Yemin Moshe & Mishkenot Sha'ananim

2. German Colony

3. Talbieh & Rehavia

CENTRAL JERUSALEM

4. King David Street & Mamilla

5. Zichron Moshe to Jaffa Road

6. Russian Compound & Musrara

7. Mahane Yehuda: neighborhoods & market

NORTHERN JERUSALEM

8. Bukharim Neighborhood

9. Mount Scopus

10.Ammunition Hill

WESTERN JERUSALEM

11. Ein Kerem

I've left off the walks in and around the Old City - they're all "must sees"!

Thanks!

Margie

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,891 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

My own priorities off that list:

1. Yemin Moshe & Mishkenot Sha'ananim

2. German Colony

4. King David Street & Mamilla--you'll see this walking to the Jaffa Gate probably.

7. Mahane Yehuda: neighborhoods & market

9. Mount Scopus

10.Ammunition Hill

11. Ein Kerem

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

If I'd have to choose, say, three must sees, I'd go for:

Yemin Moshe & Mishkenot Sha'ananim

Ein Kerem

And either Talbieh & Rehavia (especially if you're interested in Bauhaus architecture) or Russian Compound & Musrara

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,940 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

I would agree for the most part with Doug's order.

Keep in mind that Ammunition Hill is by Ramot Eshkol which by itself is not very tourist worthy. Ammunition Hill IS tourist worthy with it's informative museum, memorial, and open grounds with some nice views. A nice place to visit along with Mt. Scopus and perhaps the French Hill area.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

I agree with Guyava. Yemin Moshe and Ein Karem are the most scenic. Then I would do the German Colony.

Miami Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
740 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

Sorry about the delay in saying thank you for your responses. I've had this really bad virus and I just can't seem to shake it!

So, please let me say "thanks...this helps to prioritize time!"

I was looking at the Rabbi Wein Jerusalem streets lectures and not sure I can match these up with the neighborhoods in Bar-Am's EasyWalks Guide. I'd appreciate your help!

rabbiwein.com/…lectures

Lecture#1: Rechavia/Shaarei Chesed corresponds with Southern Jerusalem #3 Rehavia

Lecture#2 Givat Shaul/Kiryat Moshe: Does this correspond with Southern Jerusalem #1 Yemin Moshe?

Lecture #3 Ramat Shlomo/Shuafat: where? correspond with any of Bar-Ams neighborhoods?

Lecture #4 Geula/Mea Shearim: correspond with any of Bar-Ams neighborhoods?

Lecture #5 Baka/German Colony: corresponds with Southern Jerusalem German Colony in Bar-Am's neighborhoods

Thanks,

Margie

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

Lecture#1: Rechavia/Shaarei Chesed corresponds with Southern Jerusalem #3 Rehavia It's Rehavia and nachlaot which you don't have on Bar Am's list

Lecture#2 Givat Shaul/Kiryat Moshe: Does this correspond with Southern Jerusalem #1 Yemin Moshe? No. It doesn't correspond to anything and quite sincerely I wouldn't do a walk there on a first visit to Jerusalem.

Lecture #3 Ramat Shlomo/Shuafat: where? correspond with any of Bar-Ams neighborhoods? It's near Amuunition Hill but it's not the same. One is a new Orthodox neighbourhood and one is the Arab neighbourhood next to it.

Lecture #4 Geula/Mea Shearim: correspond with any of Bar-Ams neighborhoods? Near Bukharim but something yet still - probably it includes at least part of the Bukharim walk

Lecture #5 Baka/German Colony: corresponds with Southern Jerusalem German Colony in Bar-Am's neighborhoods Yes most probably.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,296 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

re: Lecture 3. Shuafat, while thought of as an Arab area, also has an Orthodox community that considers itself to live in Shuafat.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

Where about, rdglady?

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

Rdglady and Anon - the area you are talking about is officially called "Reches Shuafat" (i.e. Shuafat Crest) on the Jerusalem Municipality maps. It is actually just to the west of Shuafat. The other name of Reches Shuafat is Ramat Shlomo. You reach it by taking a left turn off Yigael Yadin street, on it's way up towards French Hill.

Journeyer - if you are considering Rabbi Wein's tapes, the ones of interest for a first time (or even 3rd or 4th time) trip are probably numbers 1,4 and 5.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
38,296 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which neighborhoods are "must see"

Thanks Debi for answering Anon's question. I couldn't have responded. I just knew people who told me they lived in Shuafat--but had never been there--or checked it on the map. I had also expressed surprise, so my comment was based on their identification of their place of residence.