We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jerusalem Easter week

ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
jerusalem Easter week

I am planning a trip to Israel in March. The time will overlap with Easter week(16-23). This is not a religious pilgimage. My question is what is it like during that period? Should I try to avoid Jerusalem & go elsewhere? Are sights closed &/or overcrowded? Is it difficult to get accommodation in Jerusalem or elsewhere.?

thanks.

1st timeisrael

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,985 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jerusalem Easter week

March 21-22 is Purim too. Religious sites might be more crowded and so the streets, but not anything unusual to make you avoide coming. Easter is celebrated only by Christians (not Orthodox Christains though). Nazereth will be decorated, and so other Christian sites, but not very crowded. Where you want to visit? In many parts of the country you will barely notice it being Easter.

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jerusalem Easter week

We were in Jerusalem at Purim during Easter week 2005, and visited the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and Church of All Nations at Gethsemane garden. Nothing was particularly crowded and everything was open.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jerusalem Easter week

The Orthodox churches (there are lots in the Old City) celebrate Easter later that the Catholic and Protestant churches, so you should be fine.

ontario
Level Contributor
34 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jerusalem Easter week

Thank-you all. I was getting nervous that a) i would not find accommodation or B) the city would be closed by pilgrims. That does not seem to be the case from what you have said & I've checked a couple of places around that time & they seem to have rooms.

1st timeisrael

5. Re: jerusalem Easter week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, September 14, 2009