We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Christmas 2007

Aussie in England
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Christmas 2007

Hello

It's my first time posting and I am thinking of visiting during Christmas this year. I realise that peak season does not ever cover how busy it will be. I am not religious myself (but am interested in religion itself) but would really like to visit and why not do it at Christmas. A tour I think would be easier. Could you please recommend any tour groups, hints etc..

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Louise

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Christmas 2007

Natalie--

I regularly visit friends who live in :"West Bank" cities.--and have done so dozens of times. Even though I have rental vehicles part of the time while in Israel, I do not drive. I go via public transportation or with my friends in their vehicle. This area of Israel can be potentially dangerous if you do not know exactly where you are going.

I should add the caveat, that route 90--which goes North to Tiberias from Jerusalem and south to the Dead Sea is NOT dangerous and no one thinking of driving it should be concerned. The danger I speak of is the smaller roads in the heart of the area.

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Christmas 2007

Thanks for the link. My other query is dress code, Ive been told conflicting views, one is thatI need to dress in a long skirt and wear head gear another is that its ok to dress like a tourist(in my case jeans and casual jacket). I dont want to upset people by dressing incorrectly but I dont particularly want to have to go out and buy a scarf and skirts if not necessary.

Hope someone can advise. Thanks. Maz.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,889 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Christmas 2007

Jeans and casual jacket is fine every where. I live here and do not own even 1 skirt or dress.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Christmas 2007

Just don't cross your legs:

…charter.net/sandalow/Armenian-Compound-Rule…

mid-hudson valley...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
1 review
Save Reply
15. Re: Christmas 2007

My experience this past summer re: "safe travel" was the same as rdglady's albeit for only half a dozen times. In our case, we traveled to visit friends who live in communities beyond the Green Line with our regular Jerusalem-based taxi drivers who had absolutely no problem transporting us as they did it regularly (which to me was a further reassurance as to the safety of the trip).

I know I've read this advice on the forum previously, but it bears repeating, if you are regularly using taxis in Israel, and you find a driver you like, it is a great idea to take his card (I use "his" as there are very few female drivers) so you can call him in the future for both local and city-to-city trips. The good ones are gems and absolutely wonderful people. They work very hard and long hours so are available almost all the time. And if they're not available, they will refer you to someone else that they trust.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,103 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Christmas 2007

Maz wrote

"Thanks for the link. My other query is dress code, Ive been told conflicting views, one is thatI need to dress in a long skirt and wear head gear another is that its ok to dress like a tourist(in my case jeans and casual jacket). I dont want to upset people by dressing incorrectly but I dont particularly want to have to go out and buy a scarf and skirts if not necessary."

99.9% of the time you can wear jeans and a jacket. If you visit a Jewish holy site they will ask that you be covered--no short skirts or shoulders showing. ( not really a problem in the winter) Married women cover their heads but if you are not Jewish , not married or don't care just blow them off. Sometimes those handing out scarfs get bored and try to get me to cover my head. Since I do not need to ( I am not married) I just walk right past. In the summer, they are too busy to worry about head covering. AND you can wear slacks to a holy site.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,435 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Christmas 2007

News from Ha'aretz on Christmas expectations for Bethlehem:

The Tourism Ministry is expecting more than 60,000 Christian tourists to visit Israel this Christmas, up from 40,000 last year.

Of these, more than 20,000 are expected to attend Christmas mass in Bethlehem, and the Tourism Ministry is coordinating with both its Palestinian counterpart and the security services in an effort to ensure they can get there and back easily.

To facilitate this effort, the ministry plans to run a regular bus service to the crossing point near Bethlehem from noon on Monday, December 24 through noon on Tuesday, December 25. The buses will leave every half hour from the Mar Elias Monastery, located between Jerusalem and Bethlehem. The ministry will also post extra staffers at the crossing.

To speed up passage through the crossing, the ministry is collecting the necessary data for members of group tours in advance. It will also open a situation room to handle problems tourists encounter over the holiday season.

In addition to Bethlehem, Jerusalem and Nazareth are expected to draw large numbers of pilgrims, so extra staff will be added to local tourist offices in both cities over the holiday season. These offices also have been stocked with informational brochures in several languages.

In addition, Tourism Minister Yitzhak Aharonovitch urged the mayors of both cities to make extra efforts to clean up their towns in advance of the holiday.

At a press conference Tuesday, Aharonovitch said that tourism cooperation between Israel and the Palestinian Authority serves the economic interests of both.

"The many tourists who visit us during this season create a bridge for cooperation, understanding and peace between the peoples, and we will work together to ensure full freedom of religion and worship," he said.

Altogether, about 1 million Christian tourists are expected to visit Israel this year, an increase of 30 percent compared to 2006. About half of them are believed to be pilgrims.

18. Re: Christmas 2007

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, September 15, 2009