We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

Which Jerusalem hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manhattan
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

Looking for a good well informed English Speaking Tour Guide for Tour of the 4 Quarters in the Old City of Jerusalem. Would you be able to recommend someone and what are the customary rates for a full day tour? I am a single woman. Is it safe to walk the Old City alone during the day & evening?

With appreciation & my sincere thanks.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
35,402 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

HI! Personally as a single women who has 40 plus trips to Israel under my belt I would only walk alone in the Jewish Quarter at night. RE: guides, Suzpom who posts on these pages is a licensed guide. ( she is NOT allowed to advertise herself) Send her an email.

Lexington, Kentucky
Level Contributor
81 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

We are going in a little over a week, and I have researched several guides in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. The cost seems to be between $200-$300 a day, depending upon the number of hours, the type of tour, whether there are museum charges, etc.

When are you going?

Cheers,

Jan

9 days and counting ...

kiwi in gold coast...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

we have just come back from a cruise where we spnt an overnight in Jerusallem had the most wonderful guide an older man who works for genesis 2000 agency his name is Shargra suggest you contact Sharona at genesis4@netvision.net.il and ask if he is available we had with us on this trip a friend who had been to jerusalem 3 times before and said he saw more of jerusalem with shargra than he had seen with other tours he had done We stayed at the prima Royale and walked at night felt safe there its not far from the old city One thing I really admired of Shargra he gave both jewish christian and muslim views on the different sites and left us to make up our own minds rare in a guide anywhere in the world he is best guide we have ever had in all our travels

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,357 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

I would strongly recommend Madeleine Lavine, , who served for many years on the staff of the Jerusalem International YMCA before taking up full-time guiding. She is knowledgeable, very pleasant, professional, and has a delightful, British sense of humor (she is originally from Leeds). Madeleine offers a wide range of tours; we took a fascinating “Europe in Jerusalem” tour that looked at the influx of European institutions in the city in the last half of the 19th Century. Even though I have been to Jerusalem eight times and explored seemingly everywhere, she showed me aspects of the city that were completely new to me. She also offers individual or group Four Quarters tours, tours of the Mount of Olives and the Old City, and just about anything you can imagine. She will work elsewhere in the country as well, though she does not have her own car or van. Madeleine is my top recommendation for a tour guide for Jerusalem and elsewhere in Israel, and I cannot speak highly enough of her. You can reach her at madl@zahav.net.il, or at (02) 678-0058 (home) or (054) 450-4098 (cell).

I will note that Zion Tours also offers less expensive, group Four Quarters walking tours daily at 9:00 and 11:00 a.m. from their office just inside the Jaffa Gate. The company is run by Yoel, and you can reach them at (02) 627-7588, or (02) 628-9524, or (050) 530-5552. The also have a web site with information about available tours at http://zionwt.dsites1.co.il (no “www.”).

The cost of a private guide runs about $150 USD for a half-day, and about $250 USD for a full day. That may be slightly higher as the dollar continues to fall against the shekel.

Finally, you're very safe walking around in the Old City during the day, and I agree with rdglady's assessment about the night.

Enjoy!

Douglas Duckett

kiwi in gold coast...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

I forgot to mention that our tour cost 320 usd per person for 2 full on days now before you have a stroke at the price this is what we got all entrance fees air con van picked up at haifia port dropped off at ashod port first day we went to nazareth the 2 churches of annunciation ( christian and coptic) and marys well driven through jordan valley to jerusalem tour of the city included Mt olives garden gethsemane church holy seplechre way of the cross old city walk wailing wall another church hotel and breakfast inn of good samaritan masada and cable car Ein Gedi waterfalls quorum caves

the main cost was the mileage in the van there were 5 of us and on our whole tour it was the very best value for money we had on the whole trip Shargra did say they use a car for just the jerusalem tours as they are easier to find parking for as for the old city fraid its all shanks pony (walking) and dont forget our price was for hotels and mileage as we went from one end of the country to the other I must say we enjoyed our tour with genesis so much that it was our highlight even beating out of no 1 spot the pyramids egypt Italy Turkey and greece

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,357 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

Actually, the going rate for a tour guide who drives his or her own van is $350 USD per day, so your received a reasonable rate. The rate I quoted was for walking tours. Adding a van driven by the guide adds about $100 per day, plus mileage charges if great distances are involved plus the guide's overnight expenses when applicable.

Douglas Duckett

kiwi in gold coast...
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

our rate 320 was based on 2 full days included overnight hotel in Jerusalem where our guide lives we did not have to pay his accomodation but he must have had to leave early in the morning to pick us up at Haifia by 7am and again had a long drive back to Jerusalem from Ashod also we did a fair amount of mileage from Haifia to Nazareth onto jerusalem then to masada dead sea ein gedi and on to ashod so the price would have to include him going originally from Jerusalem and back there again sorry if I confused you

8. Re: Seeking Good Guide for Jerusalem Old City 4 Quarters Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:19 pm, September 10, 2009