We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

egypt
8 posts
Save Topic
Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

Hi, we are travelling to Jerusalem from the Taba border crossing and the times of the bus does not really work for me, so does anyone know if there are shared taxis/(Sherut?) that run from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem and how much it might cost? There are 6 of us. Thanks much!

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
254 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

There is no sherut service from Eilat to Jerusalem. Sherut is not as common in Israel as "servees" is in the Arab world.

A regular taxi from Eilat to Jerusalem would be pretty expensive, probably $300 but you are splitting it by six people. However you would need to find a taxi large enough for all of you which would be hard to find.

Other alternatives would be to rent a car -- almost certainly cheaper than taking a taxi even if you had to pay a one-way fee -- or stay overnight in Eilat. There are fairly inexpensive hotels -- by Israeli standards, anyway, not necessarily by Egyptian standards.

egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

hi, thanks for responding. we have limited time in israel, we are planning to cross the border at taba around 9pm on and from there to Eilat, and from Eilat to Jerusalem. The first bus leave at 7am, and we don't want to waste time waiting. We prefer to be in Jerusalem by 7am. Where can we rent a car and do you have an idea of how much it will cost? Are there regular taxis from Eilat to Jerusalem at that hour? do taxis operate 24 hours? I can't seem to find any information on this.

Thanks much!

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
254 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

Are you certain there is no bus until 7 a.m.? When I lived in the area (admittedly almost 20 years ago) there were buses at midnight and 4 a.m. Perhaps only to Tel Aviv, but a bus to Tel Aviv and then a sherut to Jerusalem might be an option. Ordinarily that is not the best way to go, but under your circumstances it might make sense.

Cabs operate round the clock and are plentiful in Eilat. In theory there is no reason why a taxi driver from Eilat cannot take you to Jerusalem but whether or not someone would be willing to do so is chancy. It is at least four hours and then they might have to return empty. You might want to see if you can contact a cab company in Eilat before you travel and see if it can be arranged.

All of the major rental companies have branches in Eilat, at or near the airport. I used Eldan a couple of weeks ago which is an Israeli company but you also have Budget, Hertz and Avis.

One caveat is that most of the road from Eilat to Jerusalem is not a road I would want to travel at night. While it is in good condition it is only one lane in each direction and very twisty and sometimes mountainous. But if you are comfortable with that it should be fine.

Finally, I would not even hazard a guess as to what a taxi would cost but certainly at least $200 and probably more.

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
254 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

I see you asked about car rental cost, not taxi cost. Sorry.

Car rental depends of course on the size of the car and length of trip. For six people you will need a bigger car of course. We paid about $45/day including insurance but that was for a smaller car. Gasoline was about $6/gallon.

For a rental of three days or more you can rent in Eilat and return anywhere in Israel with no additional fee. Less than three days you must pay a drop off fee, I do not know what the amount is but you can find this information at the various company's websites.

egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

Thanks so much!!!!!!! You have been more than helpful and I am indebted to you. We did check with the bus company and the ealiest bus leaves at 7am and we are now trying to find numbers for a cab company in Eilat but if you have any recommendations, it will be much appreciated! We are 6 crazy Americans trying to make sure we get to see as much of Israel as possible in the short time we have!

Another question - we are leaving Jerusalem on Friday afternoon (around 4 or 5pm) and the last bus leaves at 2pm - do you know if it is difficult to find a cab to drive us back to Eilat?

THANKS!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

I think you may have a very hard time finding any cab to drive from Jerusalem to Eilat, let alone as Shabbat is starting. This is a four-hour drive, and then the cabbie has almost no hope of finding a return fare. This is not a cab trip, though I suppose if you pay enough money, people will do most anything. In my view, you really need to look at renting a car.

Douglas Duckett

egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

Hi, thanks - is there other bus companies aside from Egged that runs from Eilat to Tel Aviv or Jerusalem?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,779 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

Buses won't run after the start of Shabbat. At that hour, I think you're going to have to rent a car, or leave earlier and take a bus.

Douglas Duckett

egypt
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

Hi, thanks again Douglas. It is difficult to find any travel books on Isreal in Egypt and it is a spur at the moment thing with us on the Israel trip.

This is going to sound stupid, but can you please clafify a few things for me?

1) We arrrive at Taba crossing at 9pm and after crossing we want to go to Jerusalem via Eilat- what mode of transportation (aside from renting a car) do you recommend? I heard that the road from Eilat to Jerusalem is slightly dangerous (one lane each way, windy, etc), and so we want to avoid driving. The earliest bus leaves at 7am and this mean we are losing time as we are only in Israel for 3 days.

2) Are there any cab companies that we can call ahead for a booking?

3) Are there other busses that operate from Eilat to Jerusalem? (Aside from Egget)

Thanks!

Gaithersburg...
Level Contributor
254 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shared Taxi from Taba/Eilat to Jerusalem from 11pm onwards

Given what you say about your plans, you are probably better off renting a car. Since you would be picking it up and dropping it off in Eilat, there is no drop off fee no matter how briefly you keep the car. Just make sure you have unlimited kilometers -- most rentals do -- since you would be driving 600 or more kilometers. Even if you park the car on arrival in Jerusalem and leave it until your return to Eilat, you are probably better off than trying to take cabs both ways. I recognize that in Egypt it might be fairly common to take a taxi for a four or five hour trip but it is not so common in Israel, where the interurban bus system is more efficient and more people have their own cars.