We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jerusalem or Tel Aviv?

Newmarket, Canada
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Jerusalem or Tel Aviv?

We are planning a trip to Israel. The way we usually plan trips is arrive and stay at a medium to good hotel as a base, and take day tours from the hotel. Is it better to do this from Tel Aviv (our arrival city) or Jerusalem (the location of most of the things that we want to see).

Are day tours (Masada, Bethlehem, Jerusalem, etc) possible? We want 'non-denominational' tours (ie we are interested in Jewish, Christrian AND Moslem sites).

What is a good base hotel in Jerusalem, which would be walking distance from historical sites?

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Good Jacob Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
HaimToGo
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Private Tours
Explore Israel with Michal
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Jerusalem or Tel Aviv?

I would say that the best city to base yourself in is Jerusalem. Granted, unless you have an overnight layover in a Eurpean city on your return, you will have to leave extremely early to return to the airport, but you will really enjoy staying in Jerusalem. It gives you more of the "Israel feel".

As far as a good hotel, on my last trip, I stayed at the Best Western Hanagid Hotel located on Schatz St. (right off of King George). It is an excellent location where the Old City is walking distance, as is the newer portion of the city. We payed $60 a night and that included breakfast! If you want to stay at a really nice, private place, Yad Hashmona kibbutz (just outside of the city) is the place to stay. You can get to the city by bus (unless you rent a car). They are finely built wooden cabins and the meals are excellent. You can find more info on them from www.yad8.com. Enjoy your trip!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Yad Hashmona
Yad Hashmona
Jerusalem District, Israel