We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

American colony - safe for Jews?

JudLS
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
American colony - safe for Jews?

Hello,

We have booked a room at the American colony for the end of the week and were just told by friends that it is in East Jerusalem, right between 2 mosquees.

Can you tell me if it safe for Jews to stay there?

Thanks

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,781 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: American colony - safe for Jews?

Great post, Charles. I don't know the hotel, so I offer no opinion, but I appreciate the discussion, as it offers JudLS a variety of perspectives with lots of information with which to make an informed choice. There is not a clearly "right" answer -- it's a matter of what a visitor wants.

Douglas Duckett

Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
158 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: American colony - safe for Jews?

Very safe! It is not in East Jerusalem but is close to. It is a stone's throw from Mea Shearim and close to 3 other regular hotels.

It's a beautiful hotel and the atmosphere is very different to any other hotel in Israel, quiet , quaint and European. I love the place and wish I could afford to stay in it. I have stayed in the cheaper and nastier hotels nearby.

You get to meet some very interesting people in the hotel because of its mixed clientele.

Enjoy!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: American colony - safe for Jews?

It's not in Old Jerusalem but it is in East Jerusalem, near Wadi El Joz - the Hakawati Theatre and Orient House are nearby. Mea Shearim is ten to fifteen minutes away, across a main road (always better not to use the term "a stone's throw" in this region). The hotel is indeed beautiful.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: American colony - safe for Jews?

I stayed at this hotel in Febuary, it is really lovely. It is right next to a mosque but I never felt unsafe there.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,588 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: American colony - safe for Jews?

I think Charles summed it up best. If depends on what kind of experience you want. As Jews living in the US we are living in a non-Jewish society. As Jews visiting Israel it is nice, sometimes ( whether you are religous or not) to be part of a Jewish society. I think the American Colony will not provide that. There are all kinds of aspects of Judaism that permeate every day Israeli life. I think you should stay in the Western part of the city and experience that. ( but that is just my opinion)

Note to the many Christians on this board--I am not writing to offend anyone. However, being Christian in the US you can't relate to what it is like to be a minority. Maybe those of you who have visited Israel can. ( or maybe not, it depends on what you did here)

16. Re: American colony - safe for Jews?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, September 04, 2009