We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

I intend to travel alone from Jerusalem to Tabgha, Capernaum and surrounding areas in order to see religious sites . While I researched how to get to Tabgha from Jerusalem I couldn't figure out if it would be safe for a woman to hike from the bus stop of Mt. HaOsher to the Monastery of Beatitude. I have got a street view on Google and the place looked a bit deserted even though the distance is small. Please anyone can advise about the area? Should I take a cab instead? Thanks again and looking forward to read from you!

7 replies to this topic
Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,997 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

I wouldn't hike up from the stop on hwy 90 to Mt. Beatitudes, there is no sidewalk there, without any relation to you being a woman (I would say that to everybody) - it's simply a matter of road safety. While the walk wouldn't be long, you may very well hitch hike on a full-of-people private tour bus - many group buses go up and down Mt. Beatitudes, and I'm sure they will be nice to let you in for that short ride (my advice goes only for tour buses that are full of passengers, not for private cars or empty buses).

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

I agree with Eyal (nearly always the case). :-) The problem is not safety as a woman -- there is simply no walking trail or path. If you go via the roads, you'll have winding, hairpin turns (this is a steep hill); if you try to cut through, you'll find difficult terrain, overgrowth, and possibly fencing.

Many of the religious sites in the area are very difficult to explore using public transportation. Have you ruled out renting a car for at least a couple of days? That's very safe, and driving in this part of Israel is very easy (unlike in Tel Aviv and Jerusalem, which is more challenging though possible).

Good luck to you! Just two weeks ago, I was in both of those very places, and they are among my favorite spots in all of Israel.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,309 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

As other have stated - this is not a route where there will be other people walking, there are no sidewalks and the drivers will not expect to see anyone on the side of the road - not to mention that it is an extremely winding road.

And to comment on post #1 -- no tour bus will stop to pick you up if you are hitchhiking -- no tour bus will ever give anyone a ride unless they are on that particular tour - this is due to insurance regulations so I would not even try that.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

It is quite common for groups to walk DOWN from the Mount of Beatitudes to the Church of the Primacy of Peter at Tabgha. I would never do it in the opposite direction, however, If you choose to walk down, just before you reach the main road by Tabgha you will pass "Pixner's Cave" - the place some believe Jesus instructed the Great Commission.

Seattle
Level Contributor
566 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

A comment above that there is no trail from Tabgha to Mount of Beatitudes is simply erroneous.

The trail is 1.4 km, a short uphill walk on a wide stable path. There is a Pilgrim's Sidewalk connecting Tabgha and Capernaum. Walk east a bit from Church of Primacy of St Peter and across Route 87 (north side of 87) is the unmarked trail to Mount of Beatitudes that starts by going up a short metal staircase. The trail continues on a dirt path which leads to a paved road near the Mount of Beatitudes site.

I have hiked from Nazareth to Sea of Galilee on the Jesus Trail and I highly recommend roaming the trails and hills to get a real sense of the land. You can get a PDF map and GPS downloads for a Garmin or other GPS device at JesusTrail.com. If you get the Jesus Trail guidebook there are detailed maps and descriptions of points of interest on and near the trail.

As for safety, the biggest hazard I faced was crossing on foot Route 90 at Route 87 near Tabgha to the bus stop as there is no crosswalk or light. Hiking away from the roads and on the trails otherwise feels quite safe.

Since these sites like Tabgha get lots of religious tour groups, the vibe is like that of a church after service with people chatting and hanging around. It might be crowded but the crowd is harmless enough.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
5,151 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

I think possibly several things have got confused in the answers here.

#1 answers the specific question asked in the body of the OP, rather than implicitly in the title: walking up from the bus stop on #90 to the Mount of the Beatitudes. This involves a walk along #8177, where there doesn't appear to be any form of sidewalk. although it's not a very long way before you get to the entrance to the site - maybe 1km? I personally would not be too comfortable walking it with tour buses thundering by.

However, the other point often made is that the scheduled buses are infrequent anyway, and designed for locals not tourists. I think it may be in that context that Oreet is talking about hitch-hiking, i.e. on #90 itself, and I'd absolutely agree.

Then there's the issue raised implictly in the title, where Justinian21 has confirmed you can indeed hike from Tabgha to Capernaum and/or the Mount of Beatitudes on the Jesus trail, but I don't think anyone had actually disputed that. Davetheguide also points out that you can walk down from the Mount of Beatitudes to Tabgha.

So: Doing Tabgha and Capernaum from Mount of Beatitudes on foot - yes. Getting to Mount of Beatitudes on foot from the bus stop on #90 - a bit dodgy, but maybe possible. Buses to that bus stop - infrequent. Hitchhiking on #90 - definitely not recommended.

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, it is highly appreciated! As I will be for the first time in Israel I do not intend to hire a car but rather to take public transport and walk wherever is possible and when these are not possible would prefer to take a taxi (short distance).

As I prepare my 2 weeks trip for January 2018 I would ask you more questions in different topics.

Thanks again!

ioana

Reply to: hiking from Tabgha to the Monastery of Beatitude
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted