We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4D in Israel - trip advice

2 posts
4D in Israel - trip advice

Hello everyone,

me and girlfriend will be visit israel in next week. Started planning our 4 day trip and we have a couple of question.

1) We will be at 11.00 in thursday ben gurion airport, then we want take 485 bus to ICC/Shazar. So me question is should I buy ticket erlier ? I'm trying find something at egged, but didn't see anything.

Maybe is better way to get Jerusalem?

(I know about taxi, but we looking for cheapest way)

2) After Jerusalem we want vist dead sea. We'll take 444 or 486 bus from Jerusalem at friday morning.

The same sytuation ticket we cen buy at bus terminal? Or it's any better way?

3) Last day we want spend in Eilat (city of our departure). So I want to leave Dead sea afternoon od evening, last 444 bus is 15.15 so question is can I buy ticket erlier for these bus ?

Or maybe is there any other bus company which travel to eliat after 15.15?

Thank you for any advice.

Best regards Damian & Magda

4 replies to this topic
Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,940 posts
319 reviews
1. Re: 4D in Israel - trip advice

First of all welcome to Trip Advisor and the Israel Forum.

1) You need to purchase the ticket on the bus. This is the least expensive way and the most convenient. The bus runs once an hour. If you don't want to wait you can take a sherut (shared taxi) which is slightly more expensive but drops you at your hotel (if not in the Old City or parts of the east side of Jerusalem).

2) If you are only go to float in the Dead Sea, be sure to take the first us in the morning. Best bus is the 486. You can go to the northern beaches or in Ein Boqek, Just be sure you do not miss the last bus back to Jerusalem which will be around 2 p.m. from Ein Boqek. Tickets are always purchased on the bus.

3) If you are going straight to Eilat from the Dead Sea, check when the bus is on Friday -- there is only one during the day and plan to be on it. You should reserve a place on the bus or you may wind up not having a seat to sit on. If the bus is at 15:15, where is it departing from at that hour? You will not be on the bus at that hour if it's departing from Jerusalem, it takes 40 minutes to get to the northern beaches or 1.5 hours to get to Ein Boqek. Check the hours listed by Egged and be sure to be at the bus stop at least 20 minutes prior to the estimated time of arrival. Purchase ticket on the bus.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,475 posts
2. Re: 4D in Israel - trip advice

< I'm trying find something at egged, but didn't see anything. >>

The 485 bus is run by a company called Afikim, which is why you can't see it on the Egged website. Egged is only one of many bus companies in Israel.

The 444 bus is from Jerusalem to Eilat and reverse. First priority for that bus is for passengers who have booked seats to (or from) Eilat; second priority is for people travelling to/from Eilat who have not reserved. Only if there are still seats available can passengers going only as far as the Dead Sea (or going back to Jerusalem and getting on at the Dead Sea) get on the bus. Don't rely on being able to take the 444 from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea. You cannot reserve seats from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea. You can reserve from the Dead Sea to Eilat, and that can be done in the Jerusalem central bus station a day or two (or more) before you want to travel.

There are no other bus companies operating this route, and no shared taxis.

2 posts
3. Re: 4D in Israel - trip advice

Thank you for quick answer dear Chana and Shuffaluff,

@Chana

I ckecked it from masada, but now I can see better option is Ein Boqek or one of northen beaches (Next time we visit Masada). I will print scheduele of bus to Eliat and we will 20 minutes before schedule for bus. Thank you for good sugestion :)

@Shuffaluff'

So we should count on happines for seats to Dead Sea. If we want make sure, we should reserve place before (but reserve is only for travel from jerusalem to eilat ?) How it is in reality ? almost every time bus is full, or usually bus have few seats free?

But from Dead Sea (probably Ein Boqek) we can reserve seats in jerusalem and we have sure for place to Eilat?

Thank you for helping us:)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,475 posts
4. Re: 4D in Israel - trip advice

You should be able to get on the 486 bus to the Dead Sea without any difficulty. It's possible that there might be seats on the 444 but don't count on it. You cannot reserve seats from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea. You can't know in advance how many seats will be available. Today there might be 27 people wanting to get on a 50-seater bus; tomorrow there might be 41 people, and the day after that... who knows?

From Ein Bokek to Eilat, yes, you can reserve seats. When you go to the Jerusalem bus station to reserve in person, be sure to tell the booking clerk that the seats are from Ein Bokek. If you have a reservation from Jerusalem to Eilat and you are a no-show at the Jerusalem bus station, your seat would be given to someone else. With a reservation from an intermediate point, the driver will have been told to pick up X-number of passengers at point Y on the road. And don't be alarmed if you're waiting at Ein Bokek and the 444 bus whizzes past. There may be several buses travelling in convoy, and if your reserved seats are on the second or third bus, that's what will stop for you. (That's why reservations are needed; so Egged knows how many buses to put on.)

Reply to: 4D in Israel - trip advice
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted