We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather - What to Wear

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Weather - What to Wear

Hi All,

I am going to Jerusalem for a week starting on 26th of November and since this is my first time what is the weather like and how cold is it going to be ? I will be going from Sydney then to Istanbul which is really cold during November and wondering how the weather will be like in Jerusalem ? Do I need light jacket or heavy ones I just need to ensure I am not unfashionable during my time there and the odd one out ?

11 replies to this topic
Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather - What to Wear

It will be considerably milder and drier in Jerusalem than in Istanbul. Historical averages for the end of November are 10C at night to 18C in the day. Over the week you might, perhaps, anticipate one rainy day (not solid rain but quite a lot), a few showers, and at least 3-4 dry days.

You'll have warm things with you anyway because of Istanbul, so just bring a few lighter items for here.

Fashion is extremely relaxed and diverse in Israel, so you don't need to worry about that side of things.

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,734 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather - What to Wear

While the average temperatures are as posted above, we are now with temperatures in the mid 20's C during the day and down to around 15-18 at night in Jerusalem. Meaning that you may not need more than shirt sleeves. You should bring clothing that can be layered so you can be warm in the morning and peel off as the day goes by. Right now there is no rain in the forecast for the rest of November, but a lightweight poncho is always good to have just in case the forecast is not 100% accurate.

Chana

Israel

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Thanks a lot for the prompt response.

I wanted to wear arab looking scarfs also called Kafiyah ---->

https:/…B01AWH7CN8

Is it ok if I wear something like that in Jerusalem ?

Also where can I buy "Yarmulke" in Jerusalem ? Is it mandatory to wear this when I visit western wall ? Can someone tell me religious significance of wearing yarmulke ? Is it okay for a Muslim man to wear this - I do not have any issues but I don't want to offend anyone else ?

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Just bear in mind that we're currently having a mini-heatwave. It would be very strange if it was as warm as that when you come.

You can wear a keffiyeh, but most Arabs/Muslims themselves do not, and it's become identified to an extent as a symbol of Palestinian nationalism. Nothing wrong with that, but if you prefer to travel neutral and aim for the best response from people you meet - maybe go without.

You need to cover your head at the Western Wall regardless of your own religion. It doesn't have to be with a yarmulke - a baseball cap or hat or anything else is fine. There's no problem with a non-Jewish person wearing a yarmulke - unlike prayer shawls and other items, it isn't a ritual item but simply a customary way of having the head covered.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,188 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather - What to Wear

Wearing a keffiyeh like the one in your link could very well be seen as a political statement and it might be unwise to wear one.

There is no religious significance whatsoever in a yarmulka (kippa). All males must wear head covering at Jewish religious sites including the Western Wall, but any kind of hat will do. If you want to wear one you can, and nobody will ask you your religion. A yarmulka is simply a convenient head covering, and it's not considered a "religious article" such as a prayer shawl (tallit), which is worn only by Jews. Having said that, if you want to buy a yarmulka you will find them all over, wherever there are tourist shops.

Edit: posted simultaneously with Shaul, saying the same thing!

Edited: 1:25 am, November 13, 2017
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,313 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather - What to Wear

And if you just want a yarmulke for your visit to the Western Wall - there is a large bin of them at the entrance to the men's section - you can simply help yourself to one.

Not wanting to belabor the point - just saying that I agree with the statements made above regarding wearing a keffiyeh -- it will definitely be seen by many as a political statement.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
7,253 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather - What to Wear

As a non-Jewish Christian tourist who travels to Israel I’d just like to say I agree with the others. I didn’t see many keffiyehs in Jerusalem. I did see some in towns in the West Bank that are under the full authority of the Palestinian Authority (Eg Nablus and the Arab side of Hebron). You could be misunderstood both by Jewish and Arabs if you wear one in the main part of Israel. I would suggest not wearing one and get chatting to everyone... you will be surprised at how friendly everyone is and how well most Jewish and Arab people mix. :)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
2,689 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather - What to Wear

I have been in Israel 8 days now and the weather has been much warmer than expected particularly in Tel Aviv but also in Haifa and Jerusalem. It is late fall in Toronto where it is cool and I'm experiencing "summer" in Israel . Im wearing tshirt/ light shirt and shorts/ light pants and carry a light sweater in my back pack which I only needed at night on 1 or 2 occasions in Jerusalem. Unclear how much colder it will be in late November. By the way what they call rain here is sprinkles compared to Canada or U.K at least so far.

It is also sunny so wear a hat and bring sunblock

New York
Level Contributor
343 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather - What to Wear

We just came back from Israel. We are Jewish and my husband wore a baseball cap at the Western Wall, which is what he wore everyday in Israel to keep the sun off his head. So as others mentioned, if you wish to wear a kippah that's fine but not necessary. There's a store in Ben Yahuda called " The Kippah Man"!

We foynd Israeli's incredibly warm. Have a great trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
580 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather - What to Wear

thank you all for all the wonderful suggestions ... just few days left for me to be in Israel for the first time.

The weather in Istanbul will be cold to 8 degree C and I have been advised to bring pea coat. I do not think I will need that in Jerusalem end of November but I will also get a light jacket just in case.

I also ordered the SIMTOISRAEL nano SIM and hoping it arrives on time. I am almost set but just need to clarify how I get to Sherut and where can I exchange currency from USD/AUD to ILS ?

1) Sherut do they drop me off in front of my hostel which is Abraham or do I have to take the train from the city stop ? I saw it in youtube a couple just made a clip and stayed in Abraham Hostel. The Sherut bus dropped them off in the city then they took another form of transport to get to Abraham Hostel.

2) Where should I exchange most of my currency ? I still need to pay the hotel, Sherut to Hostel and some food. Is there currency exchange with good rates near the hostel ?

3) How much should I expect my 5 days will cost ?

Reply to: Weather - What to Wear
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted