We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

Which Haifa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carmel, Indiana
Level Contributor
177 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

We have the opportunity to spend a Thursday night in May in either Akko or Haifa. We could stay in the Akkotel in Akko and in Haifa maybe the Nof on the mountain top or a place in the German Colony such as the Templers or the Colony. We would like to have a nice meal and explore around the hotel in the evening and following morning. Any opinions on which would be the best choice?

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

Haifa is a way better option.

Akko at nigt time is a dead city.

Colony Hotel or Templer in the German Colony is great.

Nof is a good option up above the Bahai Gardens and 5min walk from Merkaz Hacarmel (Carmel Center) where you have a lot of evening dining option. Also easy public bus to the German Colony...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,315 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

I also vote for Haifa, but my favorite hotel in the city is the Crowne Plaza on Yefe Nof, which has a spectacular view of the bay. Enjoy your visit! Haifa is perhaps my favorite city in the world.

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

Haifa has alot of beautiful views to walk around and view, Akko at night doesn't even have that. Haifa is certainly the better option.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

My vote goes for Hiafa at night at the German Colony area, lots of resturants and bars. Hotel price lower than Crown Plaza or Nof. I would suggest for next day to take a bus or a train in Akko as there is much more to see there at daylight.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,830 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

Definitely stay in Haifa - much more to do at night. Great to walk around the German Colony and lots of dining options.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

Joining the chorus - Haifa, although Akkotel is beautiful. Akko is dead in the evenings.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
341 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

Haifa - another big city.

Akko is steeped in history. True, you might not find a discoteque and wild bars, but the atmosphere is something special. So it depends on what you want to do at night (and early the next morning. )

In Akko the hungry fisherman are gobbling down fresh hummus at 06:00 - and you can join them.

BTW - there are some great restaurants in Akko.

USA
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

We spent a night in Akko a few years ago. We liked it a lot. We don't need much evening entertainment, though, so I guess it depends what you are looking for. We stayed at Akkotel. We walked through the city to the waterfront to have dinner at a restaurant recommended by a tour guide with whom we did a walking tour. It wasn't the "most famous" restaurant, so I was unsure. But it was great. We decided against the main courses because the salads were so much we could not eat more. After dinner, we walked back. We stopped at a baked goods shop that had every manner of baklava-like pastries. We did not know what any of them were, but bought a nice selection. We then walked back to the hotel and sat on the roof top terrace, drinking tea and eating pastries, and looking at the minarets, rooftops, and listening to the sounds. For us, it was a nice evening. And Akko is a really interesting place, worth touring.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

onekbear has a point. I know Akko well as my relatives live in a village next to it and we visit there frequently for almost 50 years. Akko has changed during the last 2-3 years, there is alot to see there and there many very good, really very good restaurants and Akkotel is a great hotel. So you have two options. I would choose Haifa.

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Overnight in Akko or Haifa?

My wife and I stayed at the Akko Knights Hostel right next to the old city. Yes there wasn't much going on at night but there was so much to see in the Old City staying there allowed us to spend more time there and see everything we wanted. We drove from Akko to Haifa to visit the Behai Gardens and walk around and if I had to do it again I would stay in Akko.

Get answers to your questions about Haifa