We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day private tour of Jerusalem

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
one day private tour of Jerusalem

Our ship is in Haifa and we would like to have a private tour company pick us up and take us around Jerusalem for the day and return us to the ship. Does anyone know a good company and how much will it cost?

Haifa
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

Most cruise passengers are contacting the guides directly rather than to use a tour company.

Another option you have is to use a service now offer in Haifa port of shared tour by an agency operating in the passengers' terminal. Usually they are offering a tour to Jerusalem if the ship is not docking also in Ashdod.

On which ship are you coming?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,336 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

A private tour guide who drives will charge approx. $650 for the day ( higher if more kilometers are involved) This is the same price as a tour company BUT you will have an opportunity to actually select the guide you are going with and not have to take your chances.

A good idea to make this cost feasible ( if you are only a couple) is to post on Cruise Critic Roll Call and try to find 2 other people to join you. The tour is the same cost, regardless of the number of people you are with.

There are a few guides who post here on TA. It is good to use the search feature and see how they write and how they help. Get an initial feel for them that way. They are

Moti--who wrote post #1

Oreet--who posts as Oreets

and

David who posts as Davetheguide.

There are also other recommended names that can be found if you use the search feature and just search for guides.

In choosing your guide you want to start with a email to get a feel for the guide. Then, when you have narrowed it to a few individuals a phone call or skype conversation is in order. You want a guide that is willing to listen to what you want as well as give suggestions on what you should do. Remember, it is ultimately your trip and your money. If a guide is suggesting different than what you want--they should be able to explain why! Remember if a guide is showing attitude BEFORE being hired--what happens AFTER!

Any other questions--feel free to come back an post.

BTW a ships tour may be slightly less per person than a guide with 4 but you see so much more with a guide. YOu see what you want and stay for how long, Hey--bathroom breaks don't last 30 minutes and lunch can be a long meal or a quick bite.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,744 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

I was about to post something, but rdglady covered it -- and better.

I, too, recommend a private guide. My top recommendations would be Oreets or Davetheguide from this forum, or Madeleine Lavine (my favorite guide in Jerusalem), who is also licensed to drive people on tour. Her contact info is madl@zahav.net.il.

Enjoy your day!

Douglas Duckett

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,445 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

I suggest you do a search on the Web for private tours from Haifa port. There are many companies as well as guides based in the north who are most suitable for a private tour. If you want only a company I suggest contacting Guy Tours who are quite competible with private guides.

Chana

Israel

Maryland
Level Contributor
593 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

Last August our cruise ship spent 4 days docked in Haifa port. We spent each of the days touring with a private guide, and we visited Jerusalem one day with Moti, who posted above. I wrote a review of the 4 days, which you might find helpful.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293982-i4592-k478…

Have a wonderful cruise.

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

Thank you for your response. We are going to be on Oceania. The day we are talking about is Sunday July 29, 2012. We are Catholic so we need to go to Mass first. That is why we decided to tour by ourself that day. This way we can go to Mass and then do what we want coupled with input and suggestions from a guide. One of the other respondants recognized your name. Are you a tour guide?

Thanks

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. Your input was very helpful and informative.

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond.

Greg

Moorpark, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

Chana,Thank you very much for taking the time to respond and the tip about Guy Tours.

Greg

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,697 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: one day private tour of Jerusalem

A private guide can help you with itinerary planning for a traditional Catholic pilgrimage experience. There's no need to contact a company - you're much better off engaging a guide directly and having the opportunity to select exactly who will be contributing to the success of your Israel experience.

Here's my suggestion for an itinerary for a shore excursion in Jerusalem: tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i27333-Shore_ex… This can be done from Haifa, but there simply will be additional driving time to take into account than from the port of Ashdod.

Regarding Catholic Mass, if you're flexible and willing to celebrate Mass in a language other than English, you'll have a much greater chance of making this happen within the very limited time you'll be exploring the Holy City.