We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

My g/f wants to pick up a flat iron the first day when we arrive in Haifa, and so I wanted to map out where a good place would be to go. We will be staying in the Dan Gardens.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Haifa, Israel
Level Contributor
754 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

Are you talking about hair straightener?

You can buy hair straightener in many shops... I think the easiest way is to go to one of the malls (Grand Kenyon, Haifa Kenyon) and buy it there.

Mentioned in this post
Haifa
Haifa
Haifa District, Israel
Israel
Level Contributor
609 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

The grand canyon mall and others are very expensive.

You can order one online from lastprice if you have an address where it can be sent,

http://www.lastprice.co.il/Category.asp?q=%EE%E7%EC%E9%F7+%F9%E9%F2%F8 ,

or you can get one at their warehouse in downtown Haifa.

Another shop which has good quality electrical appliances for less is mahsanei hashmal.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

To the best of my knowledge a flat iron is not an expensive appliance so if you stay at the Dan Gardens which is on the Carmel, there are two or three shops where you can try and find one. One is in Shdreot Hanasi around number 50 or 60 there is a small shopping area with a cafe, a photo shop and an electrical appliances store. There is one in Derech Hayam right at the beginning they might have it but am not sure. Or in Shdreot Hanasi where all the bus stations are going towards the carmel not the Hadar, Its a small but well equipped electrical shop. If you cannot find any, go by bus to the Merkas Horev which is a nice shopping mall with many stores.

Marietta, Georgia
Level Contributor
44 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

Yes, a hair straightener.

Thank you for the tips. It seems like the ones under NIS 150 are the inexpensive range. The one she has is pricey and she's concerned that using a convertor will destroy it.

Cali, Colombia
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

If you want a professional flat iron and you are ok with spending around $140 I would highly recommend the Karmin G3 Salon Pro, it heats up to 450f with temperature control, dual voltage, tourmaline ceramic plates with rounded edges which makes it great for also curling your hair. Also has a 3 year warranty. If you are in the US you can buy from http://MyHairStylingTools.com, they are also giving away a free heat matt/carrying case and some heat serum that works really well. If you are in Canada you can buy at http://www.hairtools.ca/. If you do look at other irons make sure to stay away from irons with painted plates (colored plates) these can damage your hair.

A little about plate quality:

* Aluminum – 90’s and low quality, will stick to your hair and terrible results.

* Colored Plates – Stay away from these, they may look nice but they are for show and they are not good for your hair.

* Ceramic Plates – White or Yellowish color plate – These plates are good but they are older technology from around 2002. Many companies still use these as it is cheaper to manufacture than a tourmaline ceramic plate.

* Titanium Plates – Gun Metal Grey color – These are great plates and provide great results. These and Tourmaline Ceramic plates are about the same in quality but work different with different hair types. You would need to try both to see which one provides the best results for your hair type.

* Tourmaline Ceramic – Gun Metal Grey in color – These are currently the best plates on the market. currently I only see Karmin and Sedu using these plates. It appears all the other brands are focused on cutting costs by using the cheaper plates.

Some features you should look for:

* Variable Temperature Control (If you have thick hair make sure it heats up to at least 420F)

* Swivel Cord

* At least a 3 year warranty (most hair straighteners will die in the first year or two)

* If you travel then make sure its dual voltage

You can also check reviews at http://flatironsreviews.com to see their ranking of the top 10 flat irons. Good luck and I hope this helps.

Pennsylvania
Destination Expert
for Playa Paraiso
Level Contributor
8,978 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

I also have a "pricey" one I use at home. However, I recently went out and bought an inexpensive one that claims to operate on dual current automatically. It was only about $25 and is also much lighter weight than my usual one. it will suffice for our trip to Israel and Jordan.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
530 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

Why is she concerned about using a voltage converter? That is what they are for...

8. Re: Good place to buy a flat hair iron?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 25, 2012