We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elijah's Cave

USA
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Elijah's Cave

We have a tour of Israel scheduled (nearly two weeks) but no visit to Haifa or Elijah's Cave nearby. Is Elijah's Cave worth seeing?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elijah's Cave

Haifa is very worth seeing, one of my favorite cities in the world. Elijah's cave is interesting if you are there, a site holy to Jews, particularly Sephardim (Jews from Middle Eastern and North African countries). Higher on the mountain is the Church of Stella Maris with a French Carmelite presence that dates back to the Crusader period, hence the name of the area, "French Carmel."

But please don't miss the magnificent city of Haifa if you visit. It's a lot more than Elijah's Cave.

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elijah's Cave

Definitely visit Haifa, the Ba'hai Gardens and its many beautiful places.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
2,262 posts
329 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elijah's Cave

I wouldn't go to see the Elijah Cave, its not that interesting, on the other hand touring Haifa going up to the university tower to the 30th floor and have a magnificant view on the North of Israel, visiting the Bahai Gardens (do not forget to make reservations at least 48 hours prior to the visit - phone 04-8313131) this I would certainly recommend.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Elijah's Cave

I think Fugu12's main interest in visiting is religious pilgrimage sites, so I won't dismiss Elijah's cave. But both Anon and Betina are right that it would be a crime to visit Haifa and miss the view of the bay (which can be seen from Yefe Nof Road) and the Bahai Gardens, which can also be seen from that road. They are a modern wonder of the world, in my view.

Douglas Duckett

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,899 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Elijah's Cave

You can do a really cool and not very difficult walk down from the Stella Maris monastery to Elijah's cave including a lookout on the cliff. Ask someone up at the top where to begin the walk. It's easy to get there from the bahai gardens (short taxi ride) so you can do both.

Avigail

6. Re: Elijah's Cave

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 pm, August 23, 2009