We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

north attractions?

bet shemesh
1 post
Save Topic
north attractions?

I am an American who is currently studying in a yeshiva in bet shemesh. My friends and I have 2 weeks vacation and are looking to tour the north and become more familiar with the land. I hear great things about the North, of Safed and Tiberias. We are looking to have a great time but are not sure of the activities of attractions in that region. My question is, if any of you have any ideas of activities or attractions that we might be interest to us. any numbers or anythign. Thank you

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: north attractions?

First of all, look into the accomodation business, unless you're planning to sleep in a tent or have that arranged already. I recommend the Israel youth hostel organization (iyha.org.il) - but they are likely to be full over Sukkot, so get onto the phone now. I suppose you won't have a car - my suggestions are visit the Archeological compound in Southern Tiberias (ancient synagogue and mosaics), Safed - if you can get to Tzippori (another great archeological site), do. No trip to he North is complete without a good hike - plenty of places to do it with good signposting, like Gamla and the Yehudiyia. Have a look at parks.org.il and kkl.org.il .But do NOT set on if you're not properly equipped - hat, sunscreen and LOTS and LOTS of water. And please do not stray from the marked path - it can be very dangerous.

Gmar Hatima Tova

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,396 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: north attractions?

I also recommend the ancient synagogue at Bar'am, which is quite special. It is on the Lebanese frontier, west of Tsfat. I second Anon's other recommendations, particularly Gamla.

Douglas Duckett

North Carolina, US
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: north attractions?

I am an American who traveled to Israel in early June 2006. I was traveling with a group of musicians from Florida and we had a tour guide/bus during times when there were no performances. If taking a boat acros the Sea of Galilee, check to see if there are any which don't have loud rock music playing. We also went to a museum displaying a boat which was found in the Sea of Galilee and is probably from Jesus' time. Then we went to the Golan Heights to see the entire area. Let me know how your trip goes!

Gayledancer@yahoo.com

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,627 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: north attractions?

Will you have a car? There are lots of great places up north but the bus links are not that great.

You should spend a Shabbat in Tsfat if you haven't done so yet. If you're happy with a simple hostel, you can stay at Ascent which is a Lubavitch-run hostel and study centre for very little money (www.ascent.org.il). They will set you up with Shabbat meals, and they also have events and classes which you can go to if you want.

The IHYA youth hostel in Tiberias is OK. Tiberias isn't really my cup of tea but there are lots of interesting things including the kever of the Rambam there.

If you will be taking a car, then I can send you some more recommendations (Peki'in, Beit Shean, Rosh haNikra, Katzrin...)

Avigail

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,856 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: north attractions?

Studying in a yeshiva is being inside most of the time. Why don't you try to visit the Hula Agamon? Bring some food with you and a blanket. Hire bicycles or 4-cycles for more comfort and have a few hours in the open watching birds, cycling and have a picnic. The place is beautiful and relaxing.

6. Re: north attractions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:22 pm, August 25, 2009