We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ideas for a rainy day

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
89 reviews
Save Topic
Ideas for a rainy day

My husband and I will be located in a Tiberias, in the second week of March. I just realised that the things I have got on our agenda presume that the weather will be sunny every day.

If there should be some rain or thunderstorms do you have any suggestions for what we could see on those days? We will, hopefully have a rental car.

A little while back, someone posted that they has visited a shofar factory. Where would we find that? (Music is a big thing in our family.).

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

There are many museums in the north such as:

Dona Gracia in Tiberias, Beit Usishkin near Tel Dan, Maayan Baruch Prehistoric Museum on that kibbutz, Beit Shturman on Ein Harod, Pioneer Museum on Yifat, Kabbala Visitors center in Zfat, Hamat Gader or Hamat Tivetia Jot Springs to name a few.

Even if it does rain don't let it put a damper on your trip.

Chana

Israel

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

Just to add to Chanan good suggestions you can visit Katzrin: Golan Heights winery - http://www.golanwines.co.il/en/The-Winery, Katzrin Antiques Museum - 972(0)4-6961350; The Golan Olive Oil Mill and Golan Brewery

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

Just follow Giora's advice and have lunch/dinner at Meatshos in the Katzrin industrial zone.

If you decide to go south to Ein Harod, go to the Art Museum that is one of the best in the country.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

Thank you all. :)

Chana, I have had a lovely evening looking up the sites you recommended. :). I might be able to fit some of those into our itinerary even if it doesn't rain!

Thanks to Giora and Shoshi also. Giora, I have been to to Talmudic village at Katzrin, but not any of the places you mentioned. The olive mill in particular sounds interesting. :)

Shoshi, I definitely want to go to Ein Harod. We were planning to go there on our last trip, but didn't manage to get there in the end. I've taken note of the restaurant you mentioned. From a quick search I the internet it looks as though they would probably know what to do where 'gluten-free' food is concerned.

We will be in a Tiberias for a week, so any other ideas welcome. :)

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Haifa
Level Contributor
3,539 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

Heather G

As you were looking for indoors activities I did not mention the Talmudic village which is outdoors, but of course one of the high ranked attractions. All of the Kazrin attraction are very close to each other.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

Yes, I assumed they would be close by. On the map Katzrin doesn't look very big.

Hopefully the rain will all be over by the time we arrive, but I suddenly remembered we had one bad storm put a stop to us going to Petra 3 years ago, and realised we would be in Israel even earlier in the month this time.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

No problem with gluten in that restaurant. They serve some bread and grilled vegetables. I never got to those and for me it was "meat only". It was one of the best meals I have had at a restaurant.

Level Contributor
574 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

This was such a good idea for a thread! It made me think to plan for some rainy days while I visit, too.

Heather ... was it you that needs to watch for gluten? We have several restaurants in my city here, now, which offer a gluten free menu - and beautiful baking, in particular!

Hope you encounter such places along your travels!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,277 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

Firebride, it depends on when you are going... Israel is sunshine with no rain for most of the year. We will be arriving near the beginning of March which is just at the end of the rainy season. I think you said you were going in late Spring/ early Summer - in which case you will have blue skies for your whole visit - so there is no need for you to plan for a rainy day. We have been twice in March/April before and only had rain on one day - but next year we will be going earlier in the month so there is more likelihood of some rain.

Yes, I am a coeliac so need to have all my food gluten free. It is comparatively easy for me to get gf food in Israel,... And over Passover most of the food is gluten free because they are not allowed to use flours that rise - so unless they are using mazzo bread in something I will be in gluten- free heaven :). (It's not so easy in the West Bank though).

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
266 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ideas for a rainy day

The shofar factory you are referring to is probably the one in Givaat Yoav - http://www.kolshofar.co.il/english/index.html

How about a culinary tour? We're planing to take a day tour with Abbie Rosner, based on all the great reviews we've heard. I'm sure she can adjust for rain - galileecuisine.co.il/Site/pages/homePage.asp

Or a wine tour? There are around 30 wineries in the Galilee and Golan heights, ranging from large commercial to family run.

We spent a lovely afternoon in Khan of the White Donkey in Tzfat's artists quarter.

We came for a "Diwan Halev" group concert (which was a unique experience). They have concerts at least once a week. I couldn't find any info in English but you can email / call them - http://www.thekhan.org/en/

North Israel tourism center - www.gogalilee.org/round_kinneret.asp?s=12352 for local events and festivals.