We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report--(kinda long)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report--(kinda long)

Two weeks ago I decided it was time to take a break from being a part time resident and revert to tourist. I went for 2 nights and two and half days up north.

I stayed at the Hacienda Forest View in Ma’alot. It was a beautiful comfortable hotel with an attached spa complex. (Which I didn’t have time to use but I did peak in and see it) I also saw all the room types, so I can answer questions if anyone is interested. My design was a slow paced rambling trip.

Anyway, late Monday afternoon I left Netanya and drove north. My first stop was Ein Hod. Much of the Village is closed on a Monday, but I was able to visit the Janco-Dada Museum and the Art and Wear Gallery. I had been there before and the Museum was closed but it was important, for various personal reasons to me that I visit it. I also bought a pomegranate shaped scarf clip.

http://tinyurl.com/7zazvog

I then went to the En Afeq Nature Reserve. It is a wetland nature reserve. The place was almost deserted and I was able to see lots of wildlife. If you stood still and just listened, you realized how noisy the environment really is. There is also a small Crusader Fortress at the site.

Tuesday I went to the Bar’am National Park. There is an ancient synagogue located there. http://tinyurl.com/74mntfo. From there onward to the Bar-David Museum located on Kibbutz Baram. The museum has Judaica exhibits and art exhibits. I was pleasantly surprised to find a large exhibit of art by Yitzhak Greenfield. He is a friend’s cousin and years ago I had visited his studio in Ein Kerem in order to bring a litho back to the US, as a gift from him to my friends. After I stopped at the galil mountain winery and inquired about a tour. I decided it was too long and would look elsewhere. However, since I was very close to the Lebanese border I went north to an outlook (whose name I am forgetting) After I went to the Adir Winery. They have a movie about both their cheese and winemaking operations. This is a small boutique winery. The sky was getting darker. Once inside it started to pour and I realized I would have to spend extra time in this location. I managed to taste 6 different kinds of wine (small amounts, I WAS driving) and different types of goat cheese. I then went to the adjoining café for a large salad for lunch. Two hours later, I was sober and it wasn’t raining. (Not that I had never NOT been sober) Inasmuch as I wasn’t that far from Nahariya I decided I wanted to revisit and see what the Ga’aton River that flows up the center of this picturesque town looks like when it actually has water in it. (Which it doesn’t have in the summer) I returned to the hotel and had a light dinner in the dairy restaurant.

Wednesday morning I started at the Ma’alot Tarshiha Museum. Following that, on to Yehiam National Park. This is a major fortress that was originally Roman and Byzantine and then rebuilt by the Crusaders and then during the Ottoman time. Lots of climbing and lots of great views. After that on to Tefen Open Museum. Didn’t really know what to expect but it is really a series of museums and exhibits. Good place for families, you’ll find something everyone will enjoy here. http://tinyurl.com/77ubr9y At this point I was exhausted and having the luxury of being a part time resident I decided that it was time to head home!

Thanks for reading!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,679 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

Hi rdglady - great trip and a great report.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

Hi rdglady - great idea to turn tourist for a couple of days, and nice report of some places that most tourists don't get to.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,606 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

Great report - glad you had a chance to explore some more of the beautiful, hidden gems in Israel.

Westchester County...
Level Contributor
52 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

I love your report of off-the-beaten-track Israel, thank you. I am inspired to write my own trip report; I've been so busy since my return 10 days ago.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

Great report. Thanks for the details and links.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

Links....that is what happens when a DE writes a trip report--she feels she has to enable others to go too.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,064 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

Glad you enjoyed your trip, thanks for the report. The Ein Afek parks is one of my favorites and highly recommend those driving north toward Akko to stop for an hour of pure natural beauty and a bit of history.

Chana

Israel

Jerusalem
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
2,757 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

It's great that after so many trips to Israel you are still finding so many interesting corners to discover. What does Maalot Tarshiha Museum have in it ?

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,872 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

By the way, I attended a conference in Ma'alat I think it was about 2 years ago in December. I stayed at the same resort. What a beautiful place! Not on the tourist track but it was just stunning. For people coming back to Israel this is an amazing town to stay in and for touring the Galilee.

On another note, while it may seem great to do conferences in Israel, I have never worked so hard in my life with meetings and work sessions running 18 hours a day. This seems consistent regardless of the org or non-profit I am working with. Israelis work really hard and sure don't waste time....

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,810 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report--(kinda long)

The Maalot Tarsshiha museum is an art museum. They also run programs for children and when arrangements made in advance they can do something with the children of visitors. BUT there is also loads of art going on around the city that is sponsored by the city and , I think the museum. For example, during Passover they have an annual sculpture contest/program. Sculpture is created all over, in the street. Visitors watch this art in progress. Today, as you drive around you can see many of these sculptures. I see I forgot to post the link for the museum. It is in Hebrew only. http://artsmaalot.com/