We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of taking a tour of the north of Israel in January?

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of taking a tour of the north of Israel in January?

We're looking at various tour options for exploring the Galilee and the Golan Heights in January (12-14th). I'm really not a fan of large coaches, but I can't find any small tour groups to join (4-10 people). So we're thinking of getting a private guide for a day or two. Maybe take a Jeep tour?

It's a bit pricey for just two people, especially when the car seats 4-6. It would be nice to find someone else who's looking to take the same type of tour around the same dates, so we could split the cost.

If that's you, please let me know.

Also, if you know of any other options, I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

london
Level Contributor
30 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Thinking of taking a tour of the north of Israel in January?

Thank you for your suggestions.

Maybe we can take a half-day jeep tour (which would, hopefully, be cheaper than a full day) and do the rest ourselves?

Which sites are easily accessible by public transport (we'll be coming from Haifa) and which need a car?

If you were hiring a guide for half a day, what would you prioritise? We're not going on a religious pilgrimage. We're more interested in history and natural beauty.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,343 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Thinking of taking a tour of the north of Israel in January?

The only sites easily accessible via public transport are Akko and Rosh Hanikra in Western Galilee. You would get around that area via train and taxi from Haifa.

As far as I'm concerned the heartland of Galilee will be very frustrating to tour via public bus.

You can probably find an operator for a half-day jeep tour in the Golan Heights, but you'll be much harder pressed to find a licensed guide who's prepared to work with you on a half-day basis. Guides normally charge on a full-day basis, regardless the number of hours you're touring with them in a given day.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,240 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Thinking of taking a tour of the north of Israel in January?

I agree -- using public transport to tour the north is really not viable.

You'll need to either splurge for the private guide, or go on a group tour.

Douglas Duckett

14. Re: Thinking of taking a tour of the north of Israel in January?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, December 16, 2012