We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family hotel choice in Eilat?

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
72 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Family hotel choice in Eilat?

I will spend several days in Eilat in late February. Probably will snorkle, hang out in town, visit Timna, and take an overnight trip to Petra.

I will be traveling with my wife and 3 small children (ages 12, 10, and 7).

Walking to town is a plus for us. Also swimming if weather permits.

Any opinions on the Nova Hotel (in town but not at the beach I see), the youth hostel (near the beach, but no pool), or Kibbutz Eilot (indoor pool if needed, outdoor pool, but drive to town).

Thank you.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
72 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Family hotel choice in Eilat?

I'm back from Eilat with these reports:

The Marina club was very plain (almost like a kibbutz hotel or a nice youth hostel). That said, it was clean and maintained. Most importantly, they rented us a 2 bedroom suite for the price of a single room in one of the newer, nicer hotels. The suite's bedrooms were both completely separate from the living/dining area.

Crossing to Jordan was quite easy. The border crossing was nearly deserted and the many steps were completed in 30 minutes. The drive to Petra was straightforward. The rental car representative met us at the border with the car (Monaco RentaCar). The highways were well marked with English and Arabic signage. For those less adventurous, there were cabs at the crossing and most of the hotels would have sent cars to pick up customers at the crossing also.

In Wadi Musa, parking was easy at the hotel. I chose the Crowne Plaza for my family. Very nice '4 star' place -- not as fancy as the Movenpick but half the price. Excellent views of the desert from the hotel room, super service, food was quite good (typical Middle-Eastern along with conventional hotel menu) and an easy walk into Petra directly from the hotel (no shuttle bus - the hotel abuts the site).

massachusetts
3 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Family hotel choice in Eilat?

Were you able to park your Israeli rental car at the border while you were in Jordan. We are going next week and are doing the same thing but wasn't sure about parking.

Thanks

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Family hotel choice in Eilat?

The Royal Garden hotel will be ideal for you. The rooms on the ground floor are actually suites that will be just right for your family. The rooms also have a small kitchen which is useful since breakfasts are not included. The Royal Garden is in an excellent location, less than a block from the sea shore. I disagree with Shoshi. From my experience the sea is too cold to swim! Some of the hotels have heated pools. You will have to check .

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Family hotel choice in Eilat?

The border is open from 08.00-20.00, the road to Petra is not the best to drive along, with large trucks in both directions. The best is really with a guided tour from border to border, there is so much to know about the site. You can stay at the Petra Palace clean, comfortable and only a short walk to the main gate. Call in to Longwood Tourist Services in Eilat, English guys working there,they can arrange everything. eilat@longwood.co.il

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Family hotel choice in Eilat?

Bluesman, it's nice to have an Eilati join the forum, as we get many questions here about Eilat, Petra, and the area. Welcome!

Douglas Duckett

16. Re: Family hotel choice in Eilat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 pm, September 06, 2009