We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conditions in Eilat now

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
6 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Conditions in Eilat now

We are planning a trip to Israel mid-Oct and thinking about a side trip to Eilat at the end because we have been told it is beautiful. However, we have also been told that recently it's "feel" is not the same as in the past. Has anyone been there recently to offer some input?

In advance, thank you!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

I was there yesterday.

What exactly are you asking about? Safety? Number of visitors?

BTW, October is a great time to visit Eilat since the heat is not as oppressing as it is right now (making a visit to places like Timna and the Hai Bar more enjoyable) but still hot enough for swimming, snorkeling, etc.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

There's no change in the 'feel' of Eilat. If you decide to go, definitely swim with the dolphins at Dolphin Reef. And consider an excursion to Petra in Jordan.

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

Eilat is larger with more hotels as in past years and some people say it has lost the free and easy feel that it had 20-30 years ago, but that just means there is a lot more to do and the facilities are better. October is a great time to visit weather wise and the majority of tourists are from overseas which means less traffic.

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

What is different is ourselves! We get older, Eilat has merely evolved and grown.

We can't take the pace anymore!

I remember being in the three monkeys until ridiculous o'clock and then somehow getting back to the caravans that slept 8 people somewhere near the port area.

Now I am in bed around midnight at the Dan enjoying a relaxing morning stroll and always wide awake for a leisurely breakfast.

I still see out of the corner of my eye history repeating itself.

You will enjoy it.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,397 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

We were in Eilat just last month,our first visit.We didnt feel' anything ,looks and feels as safe as anywhere we have ever visited .

Although whether I would drive the 3 hrs or so down there from the north ,we were rather underwhelmed.We are not Jewish just inquisitive travellers so it maybe lost on us .

Snorkelling was good,weather was V hot naturally,but we found it to be very expensive .

Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
139 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

Eilat is surrounded by natural beauty, beginning with the sea and continuing with the mountains above and around the city, and the colored rock formations of Timna, Amram's Pillars and the Red Canyon, etc. Snorkeling and diving is a treat, and October is a great month in terms of water and air temperatures, but you'll still want to do most of your hiking early in the morning, then spend the afternoon at the seashore or hotel pool. It will empty out here after the holidays which end around October 1, and prices will be lower than what johnwilky53 experienced (but still not cheap). This year we won't turn the clocks back until the end of October which means you'll have long sunny days every day.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,867 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

Eilat is a resort town and the big highlights of things to do are the underwater experiences, the desert experiences (which are a bit out of town), and the feel of a 'resort' town along the waterfront. It is fun. For snorkelers, it is amazing. For those doing intro dives or snuba, it is amazing. For those who like the desert and the history of the area, also terrific. It is also a jumping off point for going to Petra and Wadi Rum in Jordan. It is its own town, very different from the rest of Israel. On a first visit, I would spend time in the rest of the country and leave Eilat for a visit when you want to spend some downtime or dive time.

Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

Eilat still wonderful resort town, lots of good bars, good food, amazing desert and coral reef (and that told me guy from Australia!!!).

NYC
Level Contributor
6 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

Thank you all for responding! We have added on to our trip and very excited to go!

Evansville, Indiana
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Conditions in Eilat now

Can anyone help me with a dilemma concerning the best way to get from Tel Aviv or Jerusalem to Eilat? The earliest plane leaves T.A. at 17:05, which will put us in Petra awfully late. We do not mind paying a driver for the trip if we know how to find a good, reliable one who would be available for a Saturday, mid November trip. We plan to cross the border there into Jordon because we have been told that the easiest way to enter Jordon is through the Eilat-Aqaba crossing. We are planning to travel to Petra immediately after crossing. I have read that a visa can easily be secured at that crossing, but then I've also read that one needs to obtain a visa for Jordon prior to leaving the US. Which is correct?

Any help any one can give would be most appreciated. I have to admit that the situation in Syria at the present time is making us nervous, and so we're not wanting to be overly adventurous. We just want to be able to experience Petra while we're in the neighborhood in the safest way possible!

Thank You.