We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kashrus in Eilat

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
East & West
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Kashrus in Eilat

My husband and I will be visiting Israel from the USA and are planning to spend a few days in Eilat after Pesach. We keep strickly kosher.

I am a little confused as to the kashrus situation in Eilat. We found a bunch of restaurants which are listed as Rabanut and one that is Mehadrin and one that is Glatt Kosher.

Do you know anything about the rabanut hechsurim in eilat?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

It would seem to me that you need to ask that question of a competent Rabbi that you trust. The majority of DEs are not Orthodox and some are not even Jewish. How can you ask a bunch of people without knowing where they are coming form a question that is as important as this one. I would not, since it is inappropriate identify which DEs are feel are more reliable in responding to this question.

AND to add to your question--many places that do have hechsurim in Israel serve kitniyot!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

Mehadrin use only Gush Katif vegetables and Glatt, is a meat restaurant which serves Glatt beef -- as a basic rule. In general the hechsher in Eilat is okay, but not if you are eating meat in a non-Mehadrin/Glatt restaurant.

Chana

Israel

East & West
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

Thank you for your reply, rdglady.

We will not be in Eilat during Pesach so kitniyot is not an issue.

I actually was addressing a specific DE who is observant but you are right this was not the venue for it.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,987 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

ShaneWest, you can send a private message to an individual. Assuming the person you want to write to is a frequent contributor to the forum, it won't be difficult to find a post from him/her. Just scroll through a few posts until you find it (or in the "destination experts" on the right-hand side of the screen), then click on the user name under the photo and you will see an option to send a message.

Israel
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

Hello,

I am not sure I am the person whose opinion you wanted, but once you are in Israel, you will get lots of unsolicited advice, so you might as well start now. :-)

Anyhow, I am observant, so maybe I can help?

In general, I hold by the rabbinate's hecsher. But then again, you don't know me from Adam, so that isn't very helpful.

What is your specific question?

:)

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

BTW I could say exactly the same thing as IndigoGrrl--but don't want a specific question because I do not poskin for others.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,334 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

Do you require Mehadrin supervision? If so, I believe your options in Eilat will be quite limited. All hotels are, of course, kosher, but very few, if any will be at a Mehadrin level of supervision.

Yad Binyamin
Level Contributor
18 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

Kashrut during Pessach in standard Rabanut restaurants are not of very high standards, try to find a hotel that has a special hechsher for Pessach through a outside party.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

The OP has said she will not be in Eilat during Pesach.

At this point I think it would be a good idea to wait for her to come back with any further questions or comments, instead of our "churning the waters"

East & West
Level Contributor
31 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kashrus in Eilat

Thank you to all who replied. I agree that it makes more sense for me to take my question elsewhere. (and I will NOT be in Eilat for Pesach :-)

But I will take suggestions for medium priced hotels in eilat - see my other post on this topic.

thanks again!