We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

We are going on a cruise to Jerusalem and Bethlehem. We want to buy the boxed souvenirs of Holy Water, Holy Oil, Earth and Incense, and a cross.

Where is the best place to buy them, Jerusalem or Bethlehem?

And how much should we pay in US$

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,782 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

Prices will be about the same everywhere. If you are going on the ship's tour you will really only have one opportunity to go shopping - the tour will have time in a shop along the way - so get what you want then.

If you are going privately, it doesn't make much of a difference where you purchase these items.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,254 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

In US$ the cost of a small set is around $8-10.

Chana

Israel

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

If you have the opportunity, when you exit the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, cross the courtyard and turn right. Head up the walkway and you'll do a Z as you zig-zag around the Mosque of Omar. As you come to a T intersection, you wil find a cluster of shops that cater to Christian pilgrims (mostly Orthodox).

You should be able to find what you need there, though I don't remember ever seeing soil for sale. That said, I sure Israel will be happy to part with a few rocks. They have plenty.

PS-One other comment: Don't spend a lot of time looking for a better price or a good deal on these items. You will only have a very limited time to see one of the most amazing places on the planet. Saving $20, but missing parts of the Old City would be foolish.

Canberra, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

We are heading to Israel next week on tour and wondering how you went with purchasing your holy water. Did you have to get any documentation to prove it was holy water for customs back here in Australua.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

I don't know if the original poster is still around but we found that as long as you purchase something that is well packaged (ie it doesn't look cheap and shoddy) then you can get things through customs that are technically on the Australian customs 'no' list. We have always declared items and have had to show the customs people what we had purchased, but we haven't had anything taken from us.

I have seen packages containing 'holy water' etc on sale here in Melbourne at Christmas, and they were identical to some that we saw in Israel. The ones on sale here claimed to have been imported from Bethlehem. With that in mind i would think it s worth your while to try. Just make sure you do the right thing and declare them. If you don't, and they decide to search your things, they may look at things differently.

Edited: 8:16 am, June 08, 2013
Canberra, Australia
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

Thank You Heather, we also declare everything when re enter the country.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

Bringing back water from Israel is very common and I will bet the customs people have seen it many times. I have brought large bottles of Jordan river water and never been questioned on either end of the flight.

And while I don't want to burst any bubbles, I would bet what you get will be tap water. You could save a few $$$ and get some from your hotel.

Gippsland, Australia
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
6,332 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

DogmeatToo, we have very strict regulations here in Australia about what we can bring back into the country. They are FAR stricter than in the USA. The authorities are particularly stringent when it comes to anything that might bring in bacteria or bugs that might multiply and ultimately affect the food industry. Bringing back something on the 'no' list can result in hefty fines. The no list includes anything made of wood, feathers, plant life, food etc etc. If we purchase something made of olive wood in Bethlehem then we have to declare it and have it inspected. We are not allowed to bring back an olive leaf from Israel. I have to carry snacks and meal replacement shakes with me in case I can't get a gluten-free meal but I have to have a doctor's note to do that and everything needs to be inspected in customs to ensure any food I carry is sealed, in their original wrappings, and meets their requirements for me to get them through customs.

We even have to declare whether we have been on a farm in the last few weeks and if so our shoes have to be inspected and possibly destroyed.

For someone to bring back water in a container that they have collected themselves could potentially bring them a fine of several hundred dollars.

Washington State
Level Contributor
2,165 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

Maybe you could put the water in a Fosters can. They hold quite a bit (personal experience) <g>.

Edited: 1:19 am, June 09, 2013
10. Re: Buying Holy Water, Holy Oil Souvenirs in Jerusalem or Bethle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, June 11, 2014