We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Israel to Petra

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nyc
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Israel to Petra

How safe is it to travel from Israel (Eliat) to Petra?

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,821 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Israel to Petra

There are no safety issues at this time in visiting Petra. And just so my comments are not misconstrued--I do not think there have ever been any safety issues. Go and enjoy!

Nyc
Level Contributor
10 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Israel to Petra

Thanks

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,877 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Israel to Petra

I have been a couple of times and am bringing a group of seniors to Israel in October and we will be going to Petra then as well.

No 'secuirty' issues, you just have to decide how you want to organize your trip. I would recommend an organized tour from Eilat to Petra for 2 days. There is also a one day trip available. Quite a few companies do this, and lots of people cross from Israel to Jordan to visit Petra every day.

Put on your walking shoes and have a great trip.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Israel to Petra

HELP?

I am arriving to Israel in November. I HATE large tour groups and bumbling around with groups and limited times. I am having trouble finding detailed info on bus/trains to Petra. I was wanting to arrive overnight? the night prior? and get to Petra at sunrise and beat the "tour groups" and stay and enjoy myself and fully explore the area prior to returning to Israel. Please help with the best suggestions for the best way to travel to Petra, Tips you may have picked up, ideas......thank you so much.....

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,076 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Israel to Petra

You can' t get to Petra at sunrise from Israel because the border crossing isn't open so early. It is a two hour drive from Eilat and the site only opens around 8 a.m. You can get on your own to Petra the previos day and stay there overnight (less cost for taxes and entrance fees). Most tourists don't arrive first thing in the morning.

Chana

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,026 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Israel to Petra

>> info on bus/trains to Petra.

No trains - there are no passenger trains in Jordan at all.

For buses, see here:

jordanjubilee.com/visitjor/petra1.htm#Hotels

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Israel to Petra

I think the best thing is to spend about 2 days in each city moving from tel aviv to spots in Jordan right? I was wondering about taxi's between cities may be the easiest as i work my way accross or busses?

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,076 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Israel to Petra

You can take a taxi to the border in either country and another taxi on the other side of the border. Check the Jordanian forum regarding buses from the border to Amman or Petra.

Chana

Israel

9. Re: Israel to Petra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 20, 2013