We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kosher restaurants

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beit Shemesh, Israel
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
Kosher restaurants

We will be only getting breakfast in the hotel as adding even one meal a day is very expensive. I'm looking for recommendations for moderately priced kosher restaurants for once or twice and also where we'll find kosher pizza/felafel etc for the times that we don't want to sit in a restaurant.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kosher restaurants

Check www.eluna.com

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kosher restaurants

While e-luna is an excellent resource it lists a very limited amount of restaurants. I would try the following site which is a much more comprehensive site: restaurants-in-israel.co.il/…

In general you should not find any problem in locating places to eat in most parts of the country. There are many chains such as Aroma, Cafe Cafe and Cafe Joe which have kashrut at most of their branches (but not in non-Jewish areas) -- for light diary meals at reasonable prices. Always look for the kosher certificate. If the business says they are kosher but open on Shabbat, they do not hold a kosher certificate for sure.

Chana

Israel

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,819 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kosher restaurants

"but not in non-Jewish areas" - like ... Tel-Aviv ?? :-)

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,060 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kosher restaurants

Did I mention Tel Aviv as non-Jewish? I was actually referring to Kfar Kara for instance. But now that you mention it, the OP would be best to check the certificates in Tel Aviv with scrutiny, just like anywhere else in the country.

Chana

Israel

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,588 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kosher restaurants

As already noted, if you are looking for someplace kosher it is important to check the certificate at the specific place you will be eating. You cannot assume that someplace is kosher just because of the chain it belongs to, its location, etc. Each case is unique.

Just as there are many Aroma coffee shops that are kosher, there are plenty that are not - and that includes in Jerusalem too.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kosher restaurants

The OP asked about Eilat. I would guess that any Aroma, Cafe Cafe etc.. are not kosher in Eilat. But I am sure that not in the tourist area are many kosher not expensive but good places.

What I did like was mbgg's remark....

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kosher restaurants

I understand mbgg's remark completely. It was a response to something that was kinda insulting and poorly worded. . It would be better to say that some of the chains are not Kosher in areas where there is not a high demand for Kosher food. HOWEVER, these areas are ALSO Jewish! I wouldn't call Tel Aviv non-Jewish, but i would say that there is less of a demand for Kosher and you look harder. I realize this question is about Eilat and it is my understanding that it is harder to find Kosher there--but again, I am not responding with first hand info.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kosher restaurants

rdglady - thanks for taking me back to the Jewish people LOL. How was your trip back?

Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
8,819 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kosher restaurants

Thanks Rglady, I was a bit worried for a while ..... ;-)

Tel-Aviv is very heathen-friendly, but ......

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kosher restaurants

I did a quick search at www.2eat.co.il looking for kosher places in Eilat and fond 33. One is a Cafe Cafe in the Big Canyon (hagadol) and another Shipudei Hatiqva on Derech Hayam 6, near Dan hotel. I mention these 2 as they are part of well known chains and considered good.