We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

Which Eilat hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Massachusetts, USA
3 posts
Save Topic
a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

I am an American woman in 50's traveling alone, will be going from Jerusalem to Eilat on Sunday, May 18 for a week and return Sunday, May 25th. Some friends suggested I not rent a car because I am alone, said it may not be safe in places. I want to see the sites along the way and take pics, would love to drive down one way and return another to see more of the countryside. Would it be safe for me to do this? Or should I take the bus??

I saw one of the posts recommended having a car in Eilat because it is spread out. I will be staying by Coral Beach. If I don't have a car, is their local services convenient enough to get around??

And since I am traveling alone, spending 1 week In Jerusalem, one in Eilat and another week in Tiberias and 2 nights in Tel Aviv before my flight...any tips or suggestions or warnings??

Israel
Level Contributor
1,947 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

I really don't see any problem for a woman driving to Eilat. Just be sure that you take the correct route. Since you will have a whole week in Jerusalem, get advise and plan your trip. The roads are good. Don't leave the main road other than visit national parks like Timna. If you have no problem driving long distances you should really enjoy this desert drive.

There are many interesting sites on route. So try to start your trip early morning. Be sure to have drinking water with you, since it will get hot. Plan your trip so you will take 2 different routes going to and from Eilat.

Are you planning to drive all the way from Eilat to Tiberias? This is a very long and tiring drive. I would strongly recommend you don't do it in one day!

It is nice to have a car in Eilat. But you can get along pretty well withut one. Taxi service in Eilat is excellent.

As for your itinerary - I think that you don't leave enough time for Tel Aviv. Tel Aviv is an exciting vivid city. You should absolutely alocate at least 2 more days to Tel Aviv!

Massachusetts, USA
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

I start with 3 nights in Jerusalem, then to Eilat, then back to Jerusalem for 1 week, then to Tiberias 1 week, then Tel Aviv. Any recommendations for car rental places, esp. any to avoid!! this may be a stupid question, but are the cars and driving rules very different from the USA?? Are signs in English...if not I could get lost forever!!!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

Signs are in English, but sometimes the spelling is different, like sometimes it will be K and others Q, but if you read it, it sounds the same. It may differ from your maps too.

On the way from Jerusalem go via Massada and the Dead Sea. You might stop for a night there, because a dip in the Dead Sea and Massada will fill the day and you can relax. On the way on route 90 (south to Eilat), there are not many stops, but there are resting places and gas stations. One nice spot is Yotveta with a Zoo and a big dairy restaurant.Great icecream. Timna can be visited on the way or as a day trip from Eilat. . On the way back take route 40. Great icecrean at Neot Smadar, but this might be to close to Eilat for a stop. Later on you have Mizpe Ramon with its crater. Try to get information on the crater in advance because the visitors center is after you have passed the crater and it makes no sense going back. Driving on is Abdat, a Nabatean city, Ben Gurion grave in Sde Boker college, and Ben Gurion hut in Sde Boker the kibbutz. Again it will be a very long day, you might consider spending the night on the way like the B&Bs at Sde Boker, or stop for wine tasting at one of the places recommended on www.drive-israel.com.

Warning - don't leave the car if there are no other cars parked too. Don't trust anybody offering help on the way unless they stop their car to help you and look decent to you. If they speak a decent English you might trust them too. I wonder if there is a guided tour that does this route and can leave you in Eilat for you week there.

New Haven...
Level Contributor
287 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

I am a woman who traveled alone to Israel for the first time a couple months ago, including Jerusalem for eight days and the Galilee for three, but not Eilat. I never felt unsafe being alone.

I rented my car from Eldan - http://www.eldan.co.il/en/index.aspx, based on the many, many high recommendations I have read on this forum. I too can recommend them highly. They have locations all over Israel and I had no problems whatsoever with pickup or dropoff, no hidden charges, nothing.

Driving could not have been easier, as the highways are as clearly marked as in the States and the signs are in English (as well as Hebrew and Arabic, of course.) I did not find the drivers to be aggressive, as some people say there are. I notice where you live. You probably won't think they're aggressive either.

As far as tips, suggestions or warnings, the ever-present and aggressive Arab shopkeepers in the Old City were a surprise that rather unnerved me at first. I was staying in the Old City, so they were my reality for eight days, but I soon grew to love them. If you're not staying in the Old City, it will be much less intense.

Chief suggestion - have a blast!

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
34,792 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

I am also a single women who travels all over--usually alone. ( and has been doing so for years) Fact is, you are more likely to run into creeps in NY/Mass. than in Israel. However, the same street smarts apply--if something feels wrong, it probably is and don't do it.

There is no reason why you can't go to Eilat on your own by car. My only question is--why a weekin Eilat? I wouldn't want to go for that long a period. What are you planning on doing while there?

As Feinly said--I find Eldan is the way to go. I've used them for years. Other posters seem to indicate that when all is said and done they are less expensive than other companies.

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

There is a free bus service for hotels on the Coral Beach to Town and back every hour untill 20.00, a taxi ride would be around $ 10 each way, and there are a lot of them. Parking meters everywhere, no need for a car in Eilat.

I take issue with every one who says a week is too long in Eilat. A great place to chill out and lots of attractions, Full and half days,you can spend every other day doing someting and the other days relaxing.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

BonEllen - Shoshi has given you excellent advice as to what to see on the way to and from Eilat, and everyone else has also given you the best information.

Bluesman - I really agree with you - we go to Eilat once or twice every year, and don't ever have a problem finding things to do. However, since BonEllen has only left herself 2 days for Tel Aviv, I would suggest that 5 days in Eilat and 4 in Tel Aviv (1 of which for driving up the coast) would have been a better breakdown.

Arizona
Level Contributor
1,578 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

I'm with you, debi. Tel Aviv is such a great city, it's unfortunate so many travelers minimize their time there.

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,318 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

You only need longer time in Tel Aviv because it takes forever to get anywhere. Traffic is bad in this clogged up polluted city. The best part is the hotel/beach area and then you have to tramp over sand to get to the sea which is warm and most times with a dangerous underneath currant so can't actualy swim, just bob up and down. How many beaches will be closed this year due to polution? Unlike Eilat where you can swim in a safe enviroment and see something will you do.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,673 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: a woman alone traveling from Jerusalem to Eilat and return

Bluesman - I like your posts so far, but such a desrciption of my beloved city is too much. The problrm with sea pollution is that in Tel Aviv you know about it, in other places, like Eilat, no one really knows or publishes.