We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best supermarkets in Eilat

California
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
best supermarkets in Eilat

Hi, please advise on the best supermarkets in Eilat( by best I mean that has the most variety of food); also any good street markets for quick bites and fresh fruit?

14 replies to this topic
Israel
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
580 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

Best supermarkets seem to be in the complex adjacent to the BIG shopping mall (northern end of the city).

Modi'in-Maccabim-Re...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,712 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

Shufersol Deal in the BIG shopping center mentioned above. Short taxi ride from anywhere in the city. Fresh fruit can be purchased anywhere selling such. In tourist area more expensive than the supermarket. Street food? Eateries are indoors for the most part because of the heat.

Chana

Israel

Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

There are a few large supermarkets in Eilat and a number of medium-sized and smaller ones. The two largest and nicest are Shufersal Deal (not in the BIG shopping center as posted above, but nearby), and Rami Levy, a few streets over. They are also no. 2 and no. 1, respectively in terms of low prices, but I think on vacation you're more interested in variety and quality, for which they are also tops. There are no street markets except for a few hours on Thursday afternoon in the summer on lower Tmarim St. You can buy fresh fruit in any of the supermarkets and also in many of the 24-hour minimarkets (which call themselves 'supermarkets' in Israel even if they're just glorified convenience stores in some cases). Israeli fruit is very seasonal, not like what you're used to LA where you have things year-round because of import. If I recall you're coming after the holidays, which isn't a great season for fruit, but the pomegranates and dates will be plentiful and new apples will be available (as opposed to cold storage from last year, look for Israeli ones which are better than the imported European ones), grapes (I think the seedless are gone by then), perhaps some other stragglers from the summer fruits. Citrus fruits will be either from cold storage or green. Bananas will be expensive and not very good yet. Pears will be mostly small and unripe (I don't sound very cheerful, do I?) but the big stores may have imported ones which are better. Just about everything you see in the fruit section will be grown in Israel, even odd things like kiwi or pineapple or odder things like carambola (star fruit) or pitaya (dragon fruit).

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Eilat
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

Depending on where you are staying, you will find supermarkets all over the hotel area. The large chain stores are situated in the residential areas as well as the Industrial area.

Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

Bluesman, in the hotel area there are minimarkets and convenience stores with limited variety that call themselves 'supermarkets' but the OP is from America where a supermarket is a large full service grocery store.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

Centrally located and not too small is Shufersal between the Central Bus Station and the airport. It's just next the post office. I like also their cheese counter. And if you find cookies made in Switzerland: they are cheaper in Israel

Edited: 6:54 pm, August 22, 2017
Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Eilat
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

That one is closed and been rebuilt as another chain.

Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Eilat
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

Binyamin8 take a look at the supermarket opposite the Dan, or Americana, they both are large well stocked stores with everything a person on holiday could need or want. The prices may be a small fraction more than the large chains but extremely convenient for someone on holiday.

Switzerland
Level Contributor
1,167 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

Bluesman, do you know which chain will open next to the post office? Will they open in the same size and have the same selection? If you are self-catering the minimarkets aren't enough.

California
Level Contributor
389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best supermarkets in Eilat

wow-I am impressed by all the answers- thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to: best supermarkets in Eilat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted