We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How are the reefs for snorkeling?

Hollywood, Florida
Level Contributor
31 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
How are the reefs for snorkeling?

How are the reefs in Eilat for snorkeling? We were there 11 years ago and the reef off of the beach was gorgeous. We are excited to take the kids next month but have heard that maybe the reefs are not as healthy as they used to be? We were thinking of walking in off of Coral Beach. If anyone has been recently we would love to hear about it.

Thank you in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
5,192 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How are the reefs for snorkeling?

I can't compare to 11 years ago, but there's still plenty to see at the Coral Beach nature reserve, and in the 'general' beach next to it you will also see a lot of colourful fish.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Beach Nature Reserve
Coral Beach Nature...
1,185 Reviews
Eilat, Israel
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,404 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How are the reefs for snorkeling?

The reefs are healthy and beautiful. From what I remember similar to 11 years ago and earlier. In fact even more coral has propagated. The Coral Beach is still fantastic (and my favorite beach in Eilat).

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How are the reefs for snorkeling?

There as a difference between now and 11 years ago as you would expect but they are still wonderful and the Coral Beach is the best and safest place to snorkel.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How are the reefs for snorkeling?

I was just at the Coral reserve beach yesterday and although there was a lot of coral it's not what it's been like 10 years ago with fish everywhere. I went to the beach in front of Prince Hotel 2 days ago and there were way more fish there

Eilat, Israel
Level Contributor
232 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How are the reefs for snorkeling?

As Alex indicated, the Coral Beach Nature Reserve is no longer the best beach for snorkeling in Eilat, and hasn't been some for some time (other than the fact that there are lifeguards, bathrooms, showers and other facilities). The inner reef table receded a great deal and there is little else to see there close to the surface except the top of Moses Rock. If you don't mind going to beaches without lifeguards (there are no dangerous currents in Eilat), the best snorkeling in Eilat is at the Princess Beach, Lighthouse Beach, and the stretch of beach across from Snuba (mainly to the north). I'm a long-time diving instructor and co-owner of a dive center in Eilat, but feel free to believe whomever you want. There are bathrooms at the Princess (public, city-maintained since the hotel closed) and Lighthouse (where they're open to the public as part of their concession agreement with the city) beaches.

Mentioned in this post
Coral Beach Nature Reserve
Coral Beach Nature...
1,185 Reviews
Eilat, Israel
Eilat
Eilat
Princess Beach
Princess Beach
227 Reviews
Eilat, Israel
6. Re: How are the reefs for snorkeling?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, June 08, 2018