We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

We just drove down the length of the dead sea on the Israeli side - in one word - TACKY. The hotels look very dated looking and many are not on the beach. The Jordan side is much nicer and upscale. The Marriott, Movenpick and Kempinski there are newer and right on the sea there.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

Did you visit the Jordan side or you just saw it from the Israeli side? Have you tried to look at the Israeli side from the Jordanian side?

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

Plus, does the Jordan side have sites like Masada? Qumran? They are anything but tacky.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
The Masada Hostel
The Masada Hostel
223 Reviews
Ein Bokek, Israel
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

I am an U.S. expat living in Jordan and have spent many nights on the Jordan side in the 5 star hotels. I have been to the Israeli side twice, stopping along the way at the resorts and sites. Yes, I have been to Masada and it interesting and not tacky but I was referring to the resorts on the sea itself and not the historical sites nearby. After what I saw at the Israeli resorts - I would not want to stay at them.

Mentioned in this post
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
The Masada Hostel
The Masada Hostel
223 Reviews
Ein Bokek, Israel
Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,091 posts
217 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

It all depends on what you go to the Dead Sea for. There are some luxury hotels on the Israeli side. There are also places that are not as well kept up. There are places like Kibbutz Ein Gedi which, while not fancy, have a world-renowned botanical garden and a fascinating atmosphere. Plus many people go there for the incomparable historical sites, such as Masada and Qumran.

There is something for everyone everywhere, I generally find. If you prefer the hotels on the Jordan side, you're free to stay there, of course. But I for one don't find sweeping generalizations like this are either fair or helpful. For example, how much can you know about how tacky a place is simply by driving by it? Perhaps a place can look gorgeous on the outside and be very poorly maintained, or look plain on the outside but be a very well-run, even posh place to stay.

Douglas Duckett

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,922 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Kibbutz Ein Gedi
Kibbutz Ein Gedi
393 Reviews
Ein Gedi, Israel
The Masada Hostel
The Masada Hostel
223 Reviews
Ein Bokek, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

I went to the Dead Sea (Israeli side) in August, I didnt see anything "tacky", guess it's in the eye of the beholder. I went there to float, and smother mud all over myself, did both and loved it! Funny how all the guide books recommend the Israeli side!

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,922 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Columbia, Maryland
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

Ok, I stopped at Ein Bokek (the tacky resort area I was talking about) and did not stop at Ein Gedi. I have driven past it 4 times though. The spa seemed sooo far from the sea (I guess maybe because the sea has been shrinking) but in all fairness I will stop next time but after reading the posts on it, it does not sound like it would be as posh and luxurious as the 3 newer spa resorts on the Jordan site that I mentioned. I do not know what guide books you are referring to or how old they are but I have been told by people who have lived and traveled both sides of river - that the Jordanian side is more appealing as well. There are a lot of Israelis themselves who travel there to stay in the Jordanian resorts. Granted Israel has interesting historical sites nearby the sea, Jordan does as well (the baptism site at "Bethany beyond the Jordan" , Mount Nebo, and the Byzintine church ruins at Lot's cave. Madaba with it's ancient mosaics isn't to far away as well. Will let you all know what I think of Ein Gedi after I have actually visited. Peace.

Mentioned in this post
Ein Bokek
Ein Bokek
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Mount Nebo
Mount Nebo
1,325 Reviews
Madaba, Jordan
Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
27 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

Hmm, I just returned from the Israeli side of the Dead Sea and didn't find it at all as you described. I stayed at the Ein Gedi Resort, in one of the new "Arugot" rooms, with a breathtaking view of the Wadi. From an American/European POV, the accomodations are very basic and the food is nothing to write home about (except at the wonderful Haya's, in a private home on the grounds of the Ein Gedi kibbutz). But "tacky" is not a word I would use. I didn't visit the southern Dead Sea resort hotels in Ein Bokek, though. Is this what you're talking about? I am perfectly willing to believe that "tacky" applies there!

Mentioned in this post
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,922 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Ein Gedi
Ein Gedi
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Ein Bokek
Ein Bokek
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

wwench - since you have not visited I feel compelled to ask - why?

Santa Barbara
Level Contributor
27 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

You're right that I didn't visit but I did drive by and I didn't get a very positive feeling, looking at the complex. I didn't like the way it was all resort hotels crowded together. Are the hotels really nice inside? Is it actually a wonderful place to stay? If so, terrific!

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dead Sea - Jordan side is better than Israeli side.

I hope to be able to report soon. I also haven't been yet, but have driven inside the complex and some hotels (like the Caesar Premier which I have in the past recommended on the strength of my very picky taxi driver's recommendation) look very nice. My in-laws are staying at the meridien this coming weekend and I'll hear from them.