We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Jordan Dead Sea to Kinneret,then around kinneret

Queens, New York
8 posts
Save Topic
travel from Jordan Dead Sea to Kinneret,then around kinneret

hi..It's my first time going to israel and My girlfriend and I are really excited. We have a planned route for our 2 week stay but have some focused logistical questions. Where can I rent a car in the Dead Sea area (Israel)? Is it possible to rent a car in the dead sea area in Jordan and continue with the car into Israel?? Can i return the car in another city, say Haifa or Tel Aviv? I hear a car is essential to travel around the North of Israel, is this true? We plan to stay two days in Kinneret (Arbel Village Tiberias) and then one day in Caesarea. How far will the travel be from Arbel to Caesarea? Lastly any favorite hiking for the Kinneret area?

I am grateful for you reading my questions and await response. Very excited for this trip to a special place.

Brian

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Jordan Dead Sea to Kinneret,then around kinneret

Welcome - you will have a super, terrific time here.

There are no car rental agencies in the Dead Sea area - where will you be coming from? That way we can tell you the best place to pick up a car.

No - you cannot take a rental car across the border.

Yes, you can rent in one city and drop off in another. There are no drop charges unless Eilat is part of the mix.

Yes, you will really appreciate having a car in the north - public transportation there is not always convenient, doesn't get everywhere you want to go and service can be infrequent.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
435 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Jordan Dead Sea to Kinneret,then around kinneret

I assume you're crossing over from Jordan.

If you cross at the Allenby Crossing, the best option is to get to Jerusalem, rent a car there, then drive east on highway 1, then north on road 90.

If you cross at the Jordan River Crossing, take a taxi to Beit Shean, then a bus to Tiberias and rent a car there.

http://www.iaa.gov.il/Rashat/en-US/Borders/

Yes, a car in the north is a very good idea.

Use the interactive map for hikes:

http://www.tiuli.com/default.asp?lng=eng

Queens, New York
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Jordan Dead Sea to Kinneret,then around kinneret

Oreets: Hi! We will be coming from the Dead Sea - Jordan side prior to heading to kinneret. What do you think the closest place to rent a car is once we cross back into Israel (considering that there are no rental agencies in the dead sea)? Can we rent a car with valid NY State Driver's Licenses? It would be a treat to drive!! As new yorkers we dont own a car and drive on a daily basis.

R_Balboa: Thanks for the response! I will review and let you know if I have any questions. It gets a bit technical with the crossings of countries and what you can and cant do. Def will look at the map for hikes!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,533 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Jordan Dead Sea to Kinneret,then around kinneret

Follow R_Balboa's advice. Since you are heading to the Kinneret first, use the northern crossing - the Jordan River crossing and head to Tiberias where there are a number of rental agencies. You can easily rent a car there, use it in the north and then continue to your next spot.

Yes, you can drive with a valid NY State driver's license here.

5. Re: travel from Jordan Dead Sea to Kinneret,then around kinneret

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, March 28, 2014