We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masada light and sound show

Knowle, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Masada light and sound show

Bit late with this post as I leave this evening..........Is it worth making the effort to go to the light & sound show at Masada? If we were to plan that and had some time before the evening show after day visit to Masada, any recommendations for the area?

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masada light and sound show

Go to see the exhibits at Qumran (the place where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found), then stop at one of the Dead Sea "beaches" to go to the spa and bath in the salt waters. You can then shower and go back to Masada for your light show.

I have not seen the show itself, so I can't speak for it.

Douglas Duckett

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masada light and sound show

Except... the Sound & Light show is from the "other" side of Masada, NOT on the same side as the Visitors' Center & Cable Car.

To get there takes about an hour & a half to drive around by continuing south on Route 90 and the a right turn onto Route 31 to Arad and then another right turn towards Kfar Hanokdim (look for the signs). Go past Kfar Hanokdim and you'll come to Masada, on the same side as that ramp built by the Romans!

Enjoy!

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

Knowle, United...
Level Contributor
25 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masada light and sound show

It was precisely because of that journey from one side to the other that I asked if there might be anything interesting en route. (Qumran is not on the way round!) Also if it was worth the effort.

This will be my fourth visit to Masada - the first being in 1968, in the days before cable car, when I was working at a kibbutz and we travelled around in a lorry, walking up the Roman ramp to Masada.

i just wondered if it was worth seeing the 'show'. Guess we'll have to decide once there now.

Jerusalem, Israel
Level Contributor
905 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Masada light and sound show

Ah-hah - didn't know you already knew about that long drive around!

How about taking in some of the activities, including food, at Kfar Hanokdim <http://www.kfarhanokdim.co.il/nokdim/english/about_e.htm> - if you have children with you, they might enjoy the camels & donkeys!

OR - if you have lots of time, instead of turning right from Route 90 onto Route 31, continue on down Route 90 until you turn right onto Route 25 (towards Dimona) and go visit the Nabatean village turned Byzantine city of Mamshit <http://www.parks.org.il/ParksENG/company_card.php3?CNumber=336199>.

Then, you just head back on Route 25 and turn left on the connecting road (past the phosphate plant...) to reach Route 31 and Arad and continue towards Kfar Hanokdim and Masada for the show.

suzanne pomeranz, jerusalem, israel

5. Re: Masada light and sound show

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, August 13, 2009