We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

Milan, Italy
Level Contributor
145 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

Hello again,

After having somehow managed to create a schedule for the first 5 days of my Israel trip next year, now I would like to investigate the possibilities around the Dead Sea region.

Starting point is the following:

Day 1: Leaving Jerusalem with a rental car on a Tuesday morning, driving to Ein Gedi natural reserve. Hiking a little bit, swimming in the waterfalls. Then, I've heard about the Ein Gedi Spa for a mud bath and the "floating" experience in the sea. I understand that it is not a "real" Spa, but that would be ok for today (if it is very cheap.. which I don't know by the way)

Day 2: Early start to climb up to Masada to see the sunrise. Rest of the day, we were thinking about a "more serious" Spa experience somewhere in Ein Bokek.

Day 3: Just leave to Eilat

Now, questions are:

1) Where should I sleep ? Ein Gedi ? Ein Bokek ? Masada hostel ?Budget is less than € 100/room/night (B&B style). We'll have our own car. Suggestions ?

2) Where should I have dinner ? Inside the hotel where we'll be staying ? I don't find many reviews of people happy about in-hotel dinner... And I like to have good dinner :-)

3) Where should I go for the Daily Spa experience ? I cannot find the package prices on the web. Some of you suggested to go at the Crowne Plaza, but it has terribile reviews even here on TA. What should be the price on avg ?

I'm sure you will give me many precious hints.

Thanks !

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,830 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: 2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

Mineral Beach is approximately 20-25 minutes drive from Masada. It is only one of many beaches on the Dead Sea and is not a public beach - there is an admission charge. It has lockers and showers. The snack bar is not kosher, if that is a concern of yours.

The walk down to the water is not an easy one for anyone with mobility issues. Anyone who has mobility issues would be best off in Ein Bokek, preferably at one of the hotels. The water line has receded quite a bit in the past years and the walk down to the water is rocky, uneven and has stairs to maneuver.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,288 posts
265 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: 2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

I do not recommend Mineral Beach as their facilities are antiquated and as mentioned it is quite distant from the sea shore. Better options are Kalya which is just 30 minutes from Jerusalem or Ein Gedi (not the public beach do to difficult accessability down a low cliff) Spa which has a great outdoor pool, sulphur pools, spa treatments, lockers, towels, food, free mud and a (wheelchair accessesible) shuttle every 10-15 minutes to/from the beach.

Chana

Israel

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
2,509 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: 2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

For dinner, the Crowne Plaza has a restaurant that had pretty good reviews about 2 years ago. This is in addition to the buffet dinner in the dining room.

United States
Level Contributor
139 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: 2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

Day trip from Ashdod off a cruise ship: We are planning to drive to Ein Gedi Reserve. Then we would like to have the Dead Sea experience. I know about the Ein Gedi Spa. I believe there is an admission charge of about $10, a $7 charge for a locker.

Don't know about Kayla. Is it north of Ein Gedi? If south, how far? And what is it? Admission? Facilities? etc.

Also, I inquired about a day pass to the pool/beach/lunch at one of the hotels along the dead sea. The Leonardo or another, forgot which. Turned out the query went to an Israeli travel agency site. They would only book it if we would book with them at any Israeli hotel for 3 nights. Not possible.

Any suggestions? And todah rabah.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,264 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: 2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

Kalia is at the northern end of the Dead Sea.

It's a few years since I was there, and I remember the facilities were very basic - showers, toilets, lockers, a snack bar.

26. Re: 2 days planning at the Dead Sea... pls help !

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 am, August 21, 2013