We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

North Hollywood, CA
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Hi, Im looking to put together a 10-12 day trip to Jordan and Isreal. I don't really like traveling with tour groups, so will probably go solo or with one friend. It's considerably less money to fly in and out of Amman, Jordon from Los Angeles as oppossed to Tel Aviv. Any suggestions on an itinerary and how to manage the transportation, various hotels, entry and re-entry in both countries, and anything else I might be overlooking.

Thanks! I'm flexible to go in May or August this year 2012, but my business is the slowest end of December and early January, so that would be most ideal for me to make this trip.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Hmmmm....where to start ?

You can easily put together a self-guided trip to both regions with adequate planning and research. What you may quickly realize is that to see both areas properly you will not have enough time although it is doable.

What sort of interests do you have? Many people have interest in religious sites, others like archaeology, yet others may just want to go swimming in the Med.

Will you be planning on having a car for parts of your trip or will the bus/train/taxi system work for you ?

Dr. Z (No Ho High School grad ;)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

In terms of timing, May is ideal for this trip. Forget about August if you can help it - it's the hottest month of the year here. Dec/Jan is the rainy season, so you risk the chance rain putting a damper on some of your activity.

10-12 days is not sufficient for what you're hoping to do. Instead I suggest:

14-days tour which includes Israel and Petra & Wadi Rum in Jordan.

You'l have 9 full-days of touring in Israel. Start in Tel Aviv, continue to Galilee and end in Jerusalem.

From Jerusalem, you'll transfer to Ben Gurion Airport for a domestic flight to Eilat on the Red Sea. Spend the rest of the afternoon snorkeling or swimming with dolphins and overnight in Eilat. The next morning begin a 2-day organized trip to Petra and Wadi Rum in Jordan. You'll stay overnight in Jordan in a hotel near Petra. At the end of Day 2 of your Jordan excursion, you'll return to Eilat and take an evening flight back to Ben Gurion Airport. Stay overnight at the nearby Sadot Hotel or in Tel Aviv and depart the following day for your trans-Atlantic flight home.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
15,591 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Fly into Amman and plan to tour Jeresh, Wadi Rum, Petra and any other sites you might enjoy (check with Jordanian forum for ideas). Cross over at Eilat to commence your visit in Israel. From here you can either take a bus or flight to the center of the country, returning to Jordan via the Beit Shean/Hussein crossing in the north. this will allow you to visit the entire length of the country without back tracking. The question is if you will have a car or are planning on taking public transportation.

Chana

Israel

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,780 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Listen to this advice, particularly Dave's. If you try to do too much, you'll risk "seeing" lots but experiencing almost nothing.

Douglas Duckett

madonow@optonline.ne...
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Dave:

Like the person who posted the original question, I too am hoping to go to Israel for the first time. There will be 3 of us, and we do not like organized tours, but recognize that to get the most out of our trip we will most likely need a guide (and guidance!). Is there a person or agency that you recommend that can help us w/hotel reservations and flights? we are starting from scratch, and don't even know where to stay. we were also wondering if we could do this in 10 days as opposed to 14. As long as we're there, we should see Petra as well.

if we start in Tel Aviv as you suggest, then should we go right to galilee then Jerusalem? Who would you recommend for the trip to Petra? a tour company?

Any help/guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Isobar- Dave's answer was for the original question. You have a different itinerary with different needs and wants.

Please start a separate thread (question) with your own heading. This will prevent confusion on this particular thread.

Dr. Z

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,729 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Isobar - Dr. Z is absolutely right. It would be helpful if you would start a new thread.

To address your question -- Ten full days of touring is sufficient to hit the highlights of Israel, but not sufficient to include the Petra extension.

You first need to decide if you want an organized bus tour, a custom private tour with a licensed guide or independent exploration. When hiring a private guide, the price you pay will normally include itinerary building and the guide can help with hotel bookings as well. There's another option worth considering - incorporate days of independent exploration with other days of guided touring.

And, yes, in an ideal situation, I suggest you start in Tel Aviv and end in Jerusalem, saving the best for last. In between the two, you can rent a car and tour Galilee. Masada and the Dead Sea can be visited as a day trip from Jerusalem.

North Hollywood, CA
Level Contributor
184 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Thanks Dr. Z. (North Hollywood High School is right up the road from where I live. In fact, I've worked in the community allot with the key club there.) and thanks everyone for the information.

Mainly I'd like historic sites, I would like to do a couple historic sites along kings highway like the mosaic floor at Madaba, the Crusader Castles at Kerak, Petra, if time Wadi Rum, then on into Isreal for of course Jerusalem, Gaililee, Dead Sea, Masada, Tiberias, then back to Jordon for Jerash maybe and Amman before flying out.

I guess this would require quite a bit of public transportation knowledge which I'm hesitant of, but I would really like to do it this way instead of buying a package with a tour group or something like that.

Ottawa, Canada
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem, Galilee, Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

You should consider renting a car for the Israel portion of your trip. You would really need it to see the Galilee and Tiberias, helpful in going to Masada and the Dead Sea. You do not need to go on group tours but you might want to get a guide for certain days to join you. It is much cheaper if you are driving than if the guide is driving.

If you are starting in Amman, see the Jordanian sites first and then cross over at Aqaba/Eilat, rent a car and head towards Jerusalem seeing Masada and the Dead Sea on the way. Also in this area is Qumran, the site where the Dead Sea Scrolls were discovered.

What is your budget/expectations re;hotels. It is guaranteed that hotels in Israel are more expensive than in Jordan. We would be happy to recommend hotels in your price range (anything under $100 a night is really a hostel), up to $200 a night is midrange and higher is deluxe 5 star. It also depends the season you come in. July and August is really expensive. May and June have more reasonable prices but May is coming up quickly so if you decide to go before the hot summer months you should seriously start booking soon.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Jordon & Isreal..how to put a trip together

Transportation within Jordan is good. To start, go to the Jordan Express Tourist Transport (JETT) website to see what is available for your itinerary. Shared taxis (called serveeces) are also plentiful and inexpensive.

Www.Jett.com.Jo

Also, post your Jordanian questions on the Jordan forum. I'll answer more on that forum.

Dr. Z