We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

Hello again everyone!

Well, so far from reading these forums and posting questions (thanks to the very helpful members imparting their knowledge) our trip is coming together.

We have just 6 nights in Israel, and are thinking of having 4 nights in Jerusalem, one night in Tel Aviv and one night somewhere close to the Dead Sea. We're visiting in February, which I know is the coldest and wetest month.

As we need to book in advance, we'd obviously like to have the nice weather, particularly when we visit the Dead Sea. I think the plan is to go from Jerusalem to Kalya and go in the sea, then Qumran National Park, then Ein Gedi. Hopefully we could do that in one day (including travelling from Jerusalem). Then, we 'd like to travel further south, stay over near Masada and then see the sun rise the next morning from the cliff and then travel back to Jerusalem.

So, my questions are for those that know the region:

- is this too ambitious with too much being crammed into the day?

- can we be almost sure that we will see the sun rise, or could it be cloudy (I may have misconstrued things, but I think I read somewhere that it is always clear and sunny around the Dead Sea region)?

- is there a place near to Masada that we can stay to make it in time in the morning for the sun rise?

-does anyone know what time the sun will rise (approx) in feb?

Thanks very much in advance,

Gav

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

I've already found the answer to 1 question, the sun should rise at about 6:30am. ;-)

Maryland
Level Contributor
586 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

We visited at the end of December 2009. The weather at the Dead Sea was very cloudy, and when we reached the top of Masada we even had rain!!!

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

Best place to stay overnight before hiking up the snake path to watch the sunrise at Masada is the excellent Masada guesthouse and youth hostel.

If you are looking for a more upscale hotel, then 20 minutes drive south of Masada you'll find the Crowne Plaza Dead Sea hotel, located directly on the beach.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,939 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

You are not over ambitious. If you leave Jerusalem early there is no reason not to see/do all that you have listed. I agree that the best place to stay is in the Youth Hostel at the foot of Masada. This will allow you to roll out of bed and hike up the mountain without having to drive anywhere. The water of the Dead Sea gets a little cooler in the winter than the summer, but not by much. It is the air temperature which may be lower. Try to go floating in the afternoon when the sun has a warming affect. In anycase, don't let a little rain put a damper on your visit, you'll get wet in the water in any case.

Chana

Israel

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
317 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

Hi,

I was just wondering, would anyone be able to post the weblink to the Massada guest house mentioned above? I've searched through google but nothing official comes up.

Also, as it's a hostel, how does it work? Is it possible to reserve a private room, or are you sharing with stranger?

Thanks

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,360 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

There are private rooms. Check out this page

www.iyha.org.il/eng/Index.asp…

there is also a 'contact us" link!

Inasmuch as you want private rooms --make your reservation as soon as you have your date!

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,680 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

the Masada hostel, as almost all the youth hostels belonging to Israel Youth Hostel Assoc. have only private rooms (there are a very few exceptions with larger dorm type rooms)

Despite the name (hostel) they are really like a motel.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

Oh know! I've just tried to make a reservation and it's all booked up for the dates we had in Feb '12. What other hotels have close proximity to Massada and the Dead Sea?

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

You can try the Ein Gedi hostel.

Otherwise try the hotels in Ein Boqeq, located about 20 minutes drive south of Masada on the Dead Sea.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Is clear, warm weather almost certain around the Dead Sea?

Thanks Dave. I remember before you suggested to me that Ein Gedi was a good option, and I liked the idea of staying in a kibutz :)

How long a drive would it be to drive from Ein Gedi to Massada?