We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking Nahal Aragot at Ein Gedi?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Topic
Hiking Nahal Aragot at Ein Gedi?

As part of a trip to Israel next year, I am hoping to do some hiking at Ein Gedi. I was considering the following route: Early in the morning, start at the kibbutz and ascend via the Mount Zeruya route, then cross the Judean Desert plateau and descend via the Essenes route to Nahal Aragot. Check out the Upper Pools and Hidden Falls while returning through Nahal Aragot to the parking area.

I know I will need to be prepared for a long, difficult hike. Has anyone tried this route or any part of it? Please feel free to provide comments and suggestions. Thanks!

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,858 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking Nahal Aragot at Ein Gedi?

When do you plan to do this trip? 2 words of caution.

1. In the winter and fall the region has flash floods that can be dangerous.

2. The summer is very hot and you need to dress accordingly and carry enough water with you.

By the way do you plan to do it alone? I hope not.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,609 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking Nahal Aragot at Ein Gedi?

As shoshi pointed out you must be very careful with this hike for the reasons mentioned. If you come in the winter have a plan B because rain in the Jerusalem hills will prevent you from doing this hike and hiking the summer means starting at 5:30 in the morning and finishing the hike by 11 a.m. due to the high heat. You will also need to bring at least 4 liters of water for this hike, hiking shoes and preferably a cell/satellite phone in case you get lost or run into any problems. Additionally it is best to register with the parks authority so that they know you are out there (and can come to you rescue in case of need). This precaution should be used by all remote hikers to ensure their safety. It is also highly recommended to do this hike with at least one more person.

Chana

Israel

3. Re: Hiking Nahal Aragot at Ein Gedi?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, October 24, 2012