We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

South Africa
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

Obviously both Rob & I would like to be in the Dead Sea at the same time, but we have a concern about our "valuables" such a passports, forex, etc. We don't feel comfortable leaving them at the Masada Youth Hostel or in the hired car.

Do you think its worth trying to get in at Ein Gedi instead ~ I guess somewhere like that would be more "safe"?

Again, I'm probably over-reacting, but after the stories about passports being stolen (I think it was at the Aquaduct in Caesarea), "better safe than sorry".

You guys must really think I'm totally paranoid about this trip ~ well, you're right! I think its time for another "lecture" on relaxing via private messaging from a certain TA member ~ you know who you are!

~ Jen ~

South Africa
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

Kathy, I apologise if I've created a thread that you feel has become negative. Please understand that there are some of us who are relatively new to travel and do not have the knowledge and experience the rest of you have.

Secondly, in South Africa, one would definitely not let go of one's possessions, even 1 metre away as they would be grabbed immediately. There was talk in another thread about a number of cases of passports being stolen at Caesarea and this is why I asked. Yes, I do feel safer in Israel than at home but we are moulded by our experiences.

Thirdly, I have been advised a number of times to carry my passport on me, with a photocopy being held by my husband and a scan to my Yahoo email address. None of the places we are staying at have safes for any valuables.

So, please, I ask that this thread be closed as I do not want to create any more feelings of negativity. And again, I apologise to Kathy.

~ Jen ~

South Africa
Level Contributor
465 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

I meant to say that the places we are staying at do NOT have safes.

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
36,092 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

Personally I carry my passport. My friend who is in Israel yearly ( also for the whole summer) only carries a Xerox. There doesn't seem to be a right or wrong.

Jen--not a negative thread. I think it is important for all to realize that as safe as Israel is, it, like every other place in the world has a number of thieves. Thieves, by definition go to where the valuables are. Tourists, people at a beach ( any beach) are vulnerable. Therefore it is a place for theives to prey.

While in Israel, most of the time I walk to the beach. I take only a small amount of money and my house key. ( now I live accross from the beach, go to the same place almost everyday and it would be real easy for someone to follow me to see where I live) What my Dad taught me was to put the key on a large ring ( no doo-dad, just a plain ring) and I thread my bathing suit shoulder strap into the ring. Thus, my key goes swimming with me. On the rare occassions I drive to a beach I lock everything in the trunk PRIOR to leaving my home. I take the rental identification/keychain fob, off the ring and do the same thing. No one has to know I am a tourist. (plenty of non-tourists also rent cars)

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,431 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

I, too, carry my passport with me. I've heard both schools of thought, but I go with that approach.

And I think the thread was a good discussion. It is true that Israel is far safer in terms of this type of crime than either the US or South Africa, but it sometimes happens. Good, common-sense precautions are good. We just deal with a lot of people on here who obsess safety way beyond what is warranted. I don't see you in that category.

Enjoy your "swim" -- safely!

Douglas Duckett

california
Level Contributor
732 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

I always carry my passport with me--after all, I am a visitor to a foreign land. I do recall visiting a Western European country a long time ago where they would take your passport & safeguard it when you registered for a hotel, which I never liked, but was at the time common practice.

I always bring a separate xerox copy of my Passport.

And I reocmmend that you go onto the US State Department website before your trip and register your travel dates & passport #.

Paragon
Level Contributor
1,747 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

My remarks were general....based on my experience and my own thoughts. *smile* That's all. I have found this to be a very good discussion.

What we are here for imho is to share our experiences and our advice and our information....

This thread has been a good one as far as I can see. I just threw in my .02 worth (as we say in the USA). Nothing more----nothing less.

I appreciate the comments regarding varying opinions on whether or not to carry the actual passport daily.

Kathy Walters

Paragon, Indiana, USA

cakywalters@iquest.net

37. Re: Dead Sea - what to do with valuables?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, September 23, 2009