We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Masada on Shabbat

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Masada on Shabbat

Hi all,

My husband and I are planning a one night stay in the Dead Sea region. We would like Jerusalem on Fri. Sept. 5 and stay the night at the Masada Youth Hostel. We would then hike in the morning and leave on Sat. to catch our plane at midnight out of Tel Aviv.

1) What are our options for transportation? I assume there are no buses running on Shabbat...we may be able to get to Masada on Friday, but not back to Tel Aviv on Saturday...(also it looked like Ein Gedi kibbutz does not accept guests on Shabbat)

2) How easy is it to travel to the sea to float and stay at the hostel? Or will we need to rent a car?

3) I assume that many people hike Masada on Sat. morning...but just want to make sure...

Thanks!

Rebecca

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,515 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Masada on Shabbat

Renting the car is by far the best way to go, and it's easy to get there via rental car.

Ein Gedi doesn't accept guests on Shabbat? That surprises me because as far as I know it's not a religious kibbutz.

Douglas Duckett

Level Contributor
21,533 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Masada on Shabbat

For all which you have planned, and the days in which the various activities are meant to take place, a rented car is the only way to go.

Tel Aviv, Israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Masada on Shabbat

Ein Gedi does accept guest for Shabat - but they have a minimum of 2 nights stay for the mentioned weekend

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Masada on Shabbat

I assumed Ein Gedi was not open since the website said Reception: Sun - Thur. But I did not look into it more.

Jerusalem, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
3,604 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Masada on Shabbat

95% or more of the hotels in Israel have checkin on Saturday, and I can't imagine that Ein Gedi would not. On their Hebrew site, I didn't find anything restricting checkin to any particular days.

6. Re: Masada on Shabbat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, September 22, 2009