We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea for the day

Essex
Level Contributor
10 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Dead Sea for the day

Can anyone recommend an organised day trip tour to the Dead Sea possibly taking in Masada aswell?

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea for the day

Look at Zion Walking Tours, their office is ahead on te right when you enter the old city from Jaffa Gate. The company has good reviews on TA.

Israel
Level Contributor
736 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea for the day

Also try United Tours, They have good reviews.

http://www.unitedtours.co.il/

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea for the day

Can you just drive up to the dead sea go in, do your thing than leave...?

Level Contributor
21,532 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea for the day

I'd rather go to a hotel or an organised tour rather than leave all or quite a lot of my valuables and documents in a rented car.

Thousand Oaks...
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
11,238 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea for the day

Larry -

yes, you can easily do a day trip from Jerusalem to see the Dead Sea including surrounding sites.

A couple tips:

Some places to see include Ein Gedi, Qumran, Masada, and the Dead Sea itself.

Near the southern part of the Dead Sea is Ein Bokek, a small town which has some resorts along the lake side. You can find some spas, fesh water and salt water pools and good access to the Dead Sea. I personally prefer that area as the more northern spots are rife with sink holes and can be somewhat dangerous.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,547 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea for the day

If you decide to drive yourself (which is very easy from Jerusalem - just 1 turning...) there are public swimming areas at Ein Gedi and Ein Bokek. You have to pay for showers etc at Ein Gedi. You can also visit the spa at Ein Gedi which is a nicer option. If you are driving from Jerusalem I wouldn't bother going all the way to Ein Bokek, which is quite a lot further down.

There is a wonderful nature reserve/hiking area at Ein Gedi. Make sure to do at least the 20 minute walk to David's Waterfall. Many people who come to see the Dead Sea are amazed at the sheer beauty of the landscape right next to it, which unfortunately you don't see in most pictures.

Avigail

Rhode Island
Level Contributor
61 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea for the day

Thats sounds great. I have seen on many posts the concern for safety, the fear of breaking into cars. I assume if you are aware park in a place with other cars, leave nothing visible, and carry your valuables that that is the normal thing to do ...anywhere. It just seems that they make crime more prevalent in Israel than anywhere else.

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,756 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea for the day

Crime is not high in Israel, but leaving cars in anattended places is asking for trouble. My rented car was broken into and robbed in Vancouver,Canada in a parking lot where we paid to park. Go figure.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
285 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dead Sea for the day

I'm actually thinking of spending 1 night at the dead sea. I really want to do some hiking there, see the waterfall and of course float on the sea itself.

We are planning to travel only with public transport. Is it easy to get from Jerusalem to the dead sea area? And can i best stay in Ein Gedi then?

One more thing, can anybody recommend me a nice (not too expensive) hostel or hotel there? Ans is it possible to get to the place where the hiking routes are starting using public transport?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
210 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dead Sea for the day

Another question - similar topic

We are a family with children 9 and up. We are staying in Jerusalem. Do you suggest going to the Dead Sea in the same day as our Masada hike? What part of the Dead Sea do you suggest we go?

I saw a couple of Spa suggestions but most of the "Spas" in the US don't allow children. I wouldn't mind a fresh water pool nearby as well and some showers.

Thanks

David