We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

Sylvan Lake...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

Hello everyone! I am in search of some advice and helpful tips! I am traveling to Israel with my mother and brother (all US citizens) for 6 days in April. I would like to take mini-trip over to Petra and the internet is confusing me on the best way to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance fellow travelers!

Questions:

1) I understand that there are 2 or 3 land border crossings from Israel into Jordan. What are the difference/benefits of each one? We are looking for the fastest/easiest/safest way across. We are only in Israel a week, so we are willing to pay more for convenience.

a. Arava Crossing? Allenby Bridge / King Hussein Bridge? Sheik Hussein Bridg?

b. I know some of the crossings require a visa? Which ones? Can we get the visa on arrival or do we have apply for one beforehand?

2) How the entry/exit fees work if we are only in Jordan 1-2 days.

3) We are planning to visit Jerusalem, Teleaviv, and the dead sea. Should we depart for Petra from one of these locations?

4) Is this mini-trip to Petra possible to do in one day, or should we plan on staying one night in Jordan?

5) Finally, once we decide which border cross works best- should we just ask our hotel to get a taxi to take us across (I also read that a taxi will have to drop you off at the border, you will walk through and get a new taxi once in Jordan?) are there recommended tour companies that can take care of all the arrangements and hassle for us?

So Many questions so little time! Thank you THANK YOU for your help!

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Arava Hostel Eilat
Arava Hostel Eilat
197 Reviews
Eilat, Israel
Allenby2 Bed & Breakfast
Allenby2 Bed & Breakfast
266 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
england
Level Contributor
2,187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

with only 1 week in Israel you dont really have much time for Petra.

but if you really want to go take a look at www.abrahamtours.com

it will give you an idea of whats involved

Edited: 1:34 pm, March 28, 2016
Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,895 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

Six days total? Does this include your arrival and departure days? Even if it doesn't, it's totally impractical to include Petra as well as Tel Aviv, Jerusalem and the Dead Sea in such a short time.

Having said that, in answer to your question: the Sheikh Hussein crossing is much too far north to be of use to you. The Allenby/King Hussein Bridge needs a Jordanian visa in advance. Delays are frequent there (in both directions), and while you might sail through in no time, you could spend several hours waiting in each direction, time that you don't have.

Arava (Eilat/Aqaba) is the closest to Petra. However, it's a long way from Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. It's five hours by road from either of those cities (unless you fly), and then it's another two hours by road (no flights possible) from Aqaba to Petra.

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Jerusalem District, Israel
Dead Sea
Dead Sea
1,989 Reviews
Dead Sea Region, Israel
Allenby2 Bed & Breakfast
Allenby2 Bed & Breakfast
266 Reviews
Jerusalem, Israel
Arava Hostel Eilat
Arava Hostel Eilat
197 Reviews
Eilat, Israel
Aqaba
Aqaba
Al Aqabah Governorate, Jordan
Tel-Aviv
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv
Level Contributor
10,622 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

There are one day tours from Tel-Aviv to Petra (this not a recommendation):

touristisrael.com/tours/…

As you can see, you wont sleep the night before and you will get back very late, It will cost you $387 to spend about 3 hrs at Petra (plus border tax and visa fees).

Going overland will be cheaper but you will waste two days of your vacation getting to and coming back from Petra.

In summary, forget it - or extend your trip,

Mentioned in this post
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv
Tel Aviv District, Israel
Sylvan Lake...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

Yes, this includes of travel/departure days. We arrive in Telaviv Sunday afternoon and leave 4am on Monday Morning. So we have Sunday night, and full days Monday-Sunday.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
16,895 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

How are you planning on getting around? Renting a car or public transport? Also, when in April will this be? Assuming you mean April 2016: In case you are not aware, the Passover holiday is from April 22 to 29. That's peak time, accommodation will have been booked up long ago, and everywhere will be very crowded.

Note that with very few exceptions, there will be no public transport from the late afternoon of April 22 until after dark on April 23 (as is true of every Friday/Saturday, which happens to be the first day of Passover), and from the late afternoon of April 28 until after dark on April 30 (the last day of Passover, starting on the evening of April 28, followed immediately by Shabbat - the Sabbath). Car rental offices will also be closed then, except at the airport, when they are open 24/7.

Before elaborating further on this, please let us know your travel dates, as this might all be completely irrelevant.

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
17,404 posts
319 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

If you have the budget for a one day tour book one via an Israeli Tour operator who will arrange flights to Eilat at 5:30 a.m. for a one day visit to Jordan -- Petra returning on the last flight from Eilat at around 10 p.m. It is an extremely long day, but only one day out of your short visit. Note that if you are coming any time from April 22, this most likely will not work. You MUST obtain a visa in advance to be stamped in your passport by the Jordanian Consulate nearest you. This can be done via a travel agent, or by mail, but you must allow up to 6 weeks to have your passport back in hand. It is not logical to cross at Beit Shean (Sheikh Hussein), which does not require a visa in advance, due to the close to 6 hour drive from there to Petra, meaning more than a one day visit.

I strongly urge you to forgo Petra this trip and leave it for another time.

Chana

Israel

Mentioned in this post
Eilat
Eilat
Southern District, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Beit She'an
Beit She'an
Northern District, Israel
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
19,088 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

I understand your desire to see Petra since you will be so close but I have to agree with the others - your time here is so short, you will end up giving up at least two days in order to spend less than one day at Petra and thereby cut out so many things you can see in Israel. But of course, it's your trip and your decision.

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Sylvan Lake...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

Hello,

We will probably be renting a car and getting drivers/taxis to travel around. We are traveling before Passover and wont be in Israel during that time

Mentioned in this post
Israel
Israel
Middle East
Eilat, Israel
Destination Expert
for Taba, Eilat
Level Contributor
1,346 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

The Arava crossing is the best to cross, if you are staying in Jordan for two nights or more then no visa is required, if not then $ 60 if you book a tour, $ 90 if cross alone.

Mentioned in this post
Arava Hostel Eilat
Arava Hostel Eilat
197 Reviews
Eilat, Israel
Jordan
Jordan
Middle East
Sylvan Lake...
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Petra Jordan from Israel-Help! Which crossing?

Thank you!!