We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Topic
8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

My wife, teenage daughter and I will be going to Israel this February for 9 days/8 nights. First trip for my wife and me, my daughter spent 5 weeks this summer touring Israel and cannot wait to go back. (She was staying just outside of haifa during the rocket attacks but was not phased.

First, thanks so much to everyone for their posts, especially Douglas. having the posts as you visit Israel is so thrilling and fun to read. Thanks to this group we changed our early plans from a group (either Smartours or Gate1 were my thoughts) to now independent travel. We will be going to Jerusalem first rather than last due to a meeting up with another family member who will also be in israel that time. We plan 4 maybe 5 nights in jerusalem and maybe 3 nights in Tel Aviv we are thinking of maybe 1 night in haifa or Tiberius. I am not a particularly good driver and get lost all the time so this may have some bearing.

I can't wait to stay at the Y in Jerusalem sounds great. Haven't made my reservation yet but I will. Should I make it directly or through Regent travel? I am sure I will have more questions but just one now we arrive on Shabbat eve, I know most things will be closed but are some tours available on Saturday e.g Zion tours. I would appreciate some help on planning our first day in Jerusalem on shabbat.

thanks again for all the help.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,357 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

You can't book at the YMCA through Regent Tours as they don't pay commissions to agents. Just contact Najat at the YMCA (you can get contact info from their web site www.jerusalemymca.org) and tell her Douglas Duckett told her to take good care of you. The place is crowded -- hope you can get in.

Have a great time, and you're welcome!

Douglas Duckett

In Jerusalem

israel
Destination Expert
for Tel Aviv, Galilee, Israel
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

The Israel Museum is open on Shabat, and several others too. But you can acquainted with the city by walking around. Shabat is quiet time and it must be nice to walk around. You can also take a walk in the Old City, Nahalat Shiv'a where you find restaurants, some open on Shabat too. I am sure our fellows from Jerusalem will come forward with more suggestions.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
961 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

The Old City is a good place to start exploring Jerusalem....even on Shabbat. The Jewish Quarter will be very quiet and peaceful. But it is also a good time to visit the Christian and Muslim Quarters of the Old City as they will be open and bustling. The Old City is an easy walk from the "Y".

The front desk could probably give you information about walking tours....although I don't think there will be any tours for the Jewish Quarter on Shabbat. If you cannot find an organized tour, a good guidebook will help you navigate. But always check at the front desk for suggestions as well as any warnings about safety concerns.

The Israel Museum is another great suggestion for Shabbat. You can spend hours there easily. This is where you can see the Dead Sea Scrolls. They have 2 cafeterias there....meat and dairy.

From the Billy Rose Sculpture Garden you will have great views of Greater Jerusalem. You'll also marvel at the construction going on of all sorts....especially the big condo and office towers!

You'll need to take a taxi from the "Y" to get to the museum. You can ask at the hotel desk how much you should expect to pay for this trip on Shabbat.

Israel Museum: Open Hours

M, W, Sa 10a-4p; Tu 4p-9p; Th 10a-9p; F 10a-2p

http://www.imj.org.il/

If the "Y" is all booked up, try the Eldan Hotel which is right across the street on King David Street. It is clean and modern, although "no frills" but VERY reasonable rates and in a great location.

www.eldan.co.il/deals_item_eng.asp?dID=14

If you stay at either the "Y" or the Eldan, it is very nice and convenient for Shabbat dinner at the Y if you will arrive before dinner time. See if you can email the front desk to make a dinner reservation for you a couple of days in advance. It can sometimes be difficult to get a dinner reservation on Shabbat if you don't have one in advance.

Haifa, Israel
Destination Expert
for Jerusalem
Level Contributor
4,603 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

The Tower of David Museum (just inside the old city) is open on shabbat 10-4. Website: http://towerofdavid.org.il/

It's one of my favourite museums and I always think it's a great place to start a visit to Jerusalem as it gives a very well-presented history of the city to orient you and to give you some insight into the place you're visiting, at the same time as being in a fabulous ancient building. The exhibits are very well made and don't leave you overloaded. Take your camera for the amazing view from the top of the tower.

Avigail

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

The 2 cafeterias there....meat and dairy in the Israel Museum- are not open on Shabat. So if you go there make other arrangements for lunch. If you would like to spend more time there and not get out for lunch, try to master some Israeli Huzpa and bring some food with you. You can buy in the old city right at the Jaffa gate pastries (sweet & salty) or Pita. Enjoy.

Ft. Laud, Florida
Level Contributor
961 posts
140 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

Shoshi.....Thanks for the correction about the cafeterias at the Israel Museum.

New York
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

Thanks to everyone. I spoke with Najat today, what a lovely person. I have a reservation for 4 nights in February at the International Y in Jerusalem. I told her to say hello to Douglas. I need to work on the other 4 days in israel. It will probably be 2 nights in Tel Aviv and then 2 nights in either Haifa or 2 nights somewhere in Galilea ? Tiberius although I like the idea also of a b&b somewhere in the countryside.

israel
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
14,815 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

For those two nights up north try www.zimmeril.com. Februray is a busy month because the Ski resort at the Hermon is open. If it is not a weekend it will be easier. Some of those places are very nice, with Jaccuzzi etc...

Cincinnati, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
14,357 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

I actually met Najat on this visit, and she IS a lovely person. Glad to hear she treated you well.

Douglas Duckett

In Jerusalem for one more day.

10. Re: 8-day trip plan and Thanks Douglas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:16 pm, August 18, 2009