We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wild Camping in Israel / Sleeping in car Israel

Prague, Czech...
Level Contributor
35 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Wild Camping in Israel / Sleeping in car Israel

Hi,

I have noticed that quite a number of people travelling to Israel on budget are considering wild camping / sleeping in car as a way of spending overnights while traveling around.

At the same time I have noticed that many "destination experts" here do not suggest to do so and rather recommend hostels or paid campsites. I understand that it is not allowed to wild camp in Nature Reserves (which is fair enough - no one wants to have the most beautiful places destroyed)

BUT, what does the Israel law says? What are the real threats?

Can someone please give me an informed and confirmed answer on the following:

"Is it allowed to wild-camp in Israel?" and "Is it allowed to sleep in the car in Israel?"

What may happen if I just pull off the road and sleep in my car for couple of hours or just pitch a tent somewhere?

What are the risks - will someone kill me, hijack me, will police arrest me, will someone fine me for that?

I would appreciate answers not containing "I think", "I believe", "I have heard", "Someone said".

As there surely are real "destination experts" around I would like to hear a solid piece of confirmed information rather than assumption.

Thanks in advance.

Moshe Kogan Tour Guide
Eco Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Archaeology Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Negev Trek
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours, Private Tours
Desert Nomads
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Deep Desert Israel
Canyoning & Rappelling Tours, Helicopter Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Private Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours
israel
Destination Expert
for Mitspe Ramon
Level Contributor
734 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Wild Camping in Israel / Sleeping in car Israel

Balboa's advice re. the camp sites near and or in the Hatira Machtesh and the hike there are nice but unfortunately the chances of theft of your belongings are better than fair so if I were you I would steer clear of the 2 camp sites abd the hike there. ?

Tel Aviv, Israel
1 post
Save Reply
22. Re: Wild Camping in Israel / Sleeping in car Israel

Hello,

the following site is recommended

http://natureisrael.org/FieldSchools

(get to know this site ...)

field schools are everywhere, all field schools have rooms / dorms where you can sleep, prices are cheap. Book in advance. you can get professional guidance for free, it is the best way for a budget travel, note that schools are usually located outside of cities (in natural reserves)

Excellent public transportation is available (bus) : use it, as cities are crowded and traffic comes to a halt at peak hours (try to avoid city traffic)

Tel Aviv, Israel
Level Contributor
441 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Wild Camping in Israel / Sleeping in car Israel

Adam,

Unfortunately, I (partially) agree: in the Negev, leaving your car unattended for hours does expose you to the risk of opportunistic theft. That said, in this specific case I don't think the risk is severe: during the night, they'd be pitching their tent right next to their car and the possible hike I suggested would be from around 05:30 until 07:30 when other campers would be at the campsite, waking up and preparing breakfast, so again- the risk is minimal.

24. Re: Wild Camping in Israel / Sleeping in car Israel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:26 am, February 07, 2015